Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

quoting jobs to home owners and then following up to close the job.

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Hi after you have quoted the home owner on the heating or A/C job how long do you wait and then call them back and ask if you can have the job or if they have any questions on the type of equipment you are using or any other questions about the job? At this time if you still do not get the job what is you follow up procedure to make sure you land the job.

I am a salesman for a P&H wholesaler and quoted a contractor a job two weeks ago and about one week after I quoted him the job I asked him for the order and he told me he bid the job gave the home owner the bid and the home owner said they will call him and let him know if they were going to use him for the job. I asked my customer if he received a call from the home owner that he quoted and he said no. I asked him when he was going to call the home owner back and he said if he did not get the job right away he never calls the home owner back.

I am sure most successful contractors have some type of procedure to follow up and get the job or at least they would know if the home owner went and had the job done at this time of if they tabled it and will be doing the job in the future.

My contractor is a great heating and A/C installer and repairman but he needs help in going after the jobs he already bid and did not get right away.

I am asking how you go after job you bid and did not get right away. I know most home owners are getting two, three or more contractors to bid on the job but I am looking for a way to help my customer follow up and land more jobs that he already bid.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    tricky tricky..

This is a tricky one because it appears you have no contact with the homeowner, only the contractor does.  It would be a little difficult to insert yourself into the mix without either insulting the contractor or looking like youre doing a hard sell on the customer.  Maybe you could ask the contractor if you can accompany him to the homeowners house to see if he/she has any addtional questions about the bid, or the equipment, or any questions comparing the job/equipment of other bids.  Based on the on-site conditions, you may be able to offer some help which could reduce cost, or see an opportunity to discuss with the contractor some ideas to make a better job.  But it's up to the contractor.  I almost always get the supplier to 'swing by' on bigger or more complicated jobs.

Oh...and buy him lunch :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Bob This may sound cold

but as a salesman for the wholesaler it is not your place to sell his job. If he wants to hire you as his salesman then go for it but unless you do this for every contractor you sell to you will be stepping on toes.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.