Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on Air Gaps under wood Flooring

Options
co56
co56 Member Posts: 1
I have a radiant heat floor system poured into 1 1\/2" of concrete. We have wood sleepers installed every 12" for a 3/4" hickory wood floor to be installed over the top of the concrete. The wood floor will nail into the sleepers. When the concrete was poured it is higher than the sleepers in some areas. We tried to grid it down but with no success. We have installed 1/8" masonite strips on the sleepers to create a level wood floor. The wood floor will now not come in contact with the concrete and we have created this 1/8" air gap. Is this wrong? How will this effect efficeincy and overall performance? The air gap will act as an insulator but I do not understand how much impact this will have.

My client is concerned regarding performance and additional cost to run the system.

Do you any other thoughts on different solutions.?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Try this

http://www.wattsradiant.com/support/literature/#/wattsradiant-solutions-radiantheating/WR_WattsRadiant_Brochure_RadiantHeating.

Open this brochure and look on page 2, a little to the right, where it shows an aluminum conduction layer (over the wood sleepers).  This would help you with conduction.  But a second options may be to go with a concrete floor leveler (mix & is applied as a liquid), which you can screed over your new furring strips to get a flat level surface.

I'd be curious to see what others think or may have tried.
    steve
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    you don't

want an air space if you can avoid it.

I second the levelling compound.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.