Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

power handtrucks

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one. The big question is which one.I work with residential boilers probably not more then 600-700 pounds. The escalera is considerably less expensive then the power-mate. Is there a good reason? The power-mate does seem to be able to climb higher stairs(don't remember the specs) Any input would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    accessories

Which accessories would I need. Small and spiral landings are my big concern.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    We have a power mate.

We have used it maybe three times total.  The houses that we work in are usually old.  Most of the time the stairs to the cellar are narrow and poorly built.  Not worth the money.  IMHO.

Cheaper to buy beer for your buddies to help wrestle one into the cellar.

Good Luck.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    bn I am still on the fence

I have looked at every handtruck out there and the escalera worries me as it puts all the weight on the front edge of the stair tread. The other style most guys tell me weighs a lot and is hard to handle when empty, go figure. I am waiting to find one I can test drive.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    one man shop

I'm a one man shop so for me it's more of a necessity. Relying on the scrap metal guys or day labors is getting to be too much of a headache. I a trying to hang on to my back for as long as I can
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I am in the same boat

bn. I am still invincible and indestructible but I think it may not last that much longer. Do not tell my kids.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    power truck

I bought an ElectroTruck at the NEFI show when I first started and it has been worth its weight in gold....and its the old orange heavy one..Still have it and its being repaired and will be sold as I simply can't and don't want to anymore. Have used a junkee the last couple of years but now retired from the tools. It's a great unit and can handle a 6 section JOT Peerless.......the best option you can get is a set of big wheels for rough ground and grass....the bigger the better.
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Power hand trucks

I agree. I have used the Elercto for years. Been through two of them in about 20 years and also bought the aluminum version. The steel is much heavier but also takes more weight. I would not be without one. We use it on all cast iron and steel boiler jobs. It is a must by the company to save on backs. Took awhile for the old timers to get used to using it but now they are the ones to demand the "power dolly"  as they call it. Would never be without one.

I also would get the big wheels, great for going through yards. The truckbed attachment is also nice. Hook the hand truck to the latch and hit the buttons. Pulls the load up into the truck.
  • Rich P_3
    Rich P_3 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Escalera

I bought an escalera 2 years ago and its great. There is a learning curve with every tool.

It is definately lighter than the lecto-truck. I always use a second hand truck to move across rough terrain or even a nice lawn.

Dont be overly concerned about stair edges..

Really it is all in the angle of the hand truck as it moves upwards.

It always is helpful to have 2 people. In case of needing help from below.

My 2 cents

Rich
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Escalara will scareya...

I "borrowed" an Escalara from one of my wholesalers to move a 120 gallon stone line solar storage tank (NOT a Chevy...)out of a customers basement one time. My partner was supposed to be there to help me, and got held up, and I got impatient, so I loaded the tank onto the dolly and started up the stairs with the tank by my lonesome. Started out fine.

About half way up the stairs, the stair bull nose snapped off that stair tread, and the tank, the dolly and myself were headed for the bottom of the stairs in an uncontrollable fashion at terminal velocity. BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP WHAM... The steps had Berber carpet on them, and it all got yanked out on the way down. When we hit the basement floor, the THUD got the homeowners attention, and he showed up just in time to watch me un-impale myself off of the top of the dolly/tank. Not a pretty site...

If my partner had been on time, I'd probably had him below me and the tank, and he'd have been hurtin' for certain.... if he survived at all.

We didn't make ANY money on that simple job... Too small to warrant insurance claim, but large enough to eat every cent of profit. We learned an expensive lesson on that job. From then on out, we hired professional movers to do our heavy lifting/moving handy work. They're insured, and have the equipment and knowledge to do a good job.

One of our suppliers used the Lectro Truck, and if I HAD to own one of these beasts, I'd opt for the Lectro. Much safer operation operation, albeit slower.

I know good contractors who swear by their Escalara, but I prefer to swear AT it... :-)

No good knuckle draggin', boiler haulin' tread snappin' sons a guns.

Give me a good trombone dolly any day of the week.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Yep, that's me.

I am one of those contractors who swears by the Escalera.  I wrestle cast iron everday and would not, could not, be in business without one.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    humm?

Just had scrap metal guy come yesterday to remove old wm steam boiler( leaking between sections). No charge. $50 to bring new one down flight of stairs to basement. Came on time worked out great. He told me that he was called once to remove "heavy old boiler" Apparently the customer got tired of waiting . He tied one end of  a rope to the boiler, the other end to the back of the truck and up she goes! The metal  guy gets there just as the boiler reaches the top stair. SNAP goes the rope and DOWN goes the boiler. The boiler went through a door. ripped it and the jams out and through a wall. Good thing no one was killed or hurt.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    I've used all 3

power handtruck brands that were mentioned .

Started in the trade in '86 changing out dozens of those too tight JOT 3s with the Lectro-Truck . Like others said , it was very heavy and you really need someone to counterbalance the weight from underneath . And forget about using it in a house with tight turns .

The Powermate is basically the same as the Lectro . Very heavy and awkward to maneuver with their standard handholds . If they made these handtrucks a few inches less wide we could use them in many more homes.

The Escalera is my favorite . Effortless when bringing a heavy boiler up the stairs . Although we never had the edge of the stairs crack , it's always a possibility . Bringing a boiler down can be tricky . You have to be real close to the edge of the stair and then the load goes up slightly before going down ............    Kinda hairy when you're shooting down a 1000 lb. EC 4 !
This discussion has been closed.