Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to get a oil burner installers lisence NYC

boiler_man Member Posts: 21
Hi, I have been working for several years on oil burners for 2,4 &6 oil. I would like to be licensed by NYC dept of Buildings (class B) Anyone know if there are any course material to study for this exam. What is the best way to obtain it? I'd appreciate any direction / advice, thank you.


  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    edited May 2011
    Re:lisence NYC

    In response to this question here is  a link to the NYC website for details on the requirements for a NYC Oil Burning Equipment installers license.  Fundamentally there is no study guide for this test. The test is based on the NYC Buildings Code and specifically those portions which apply to fuels and heating. The greatest portion of the test is based on:

    ·         the 2008 NYC Mechanical Code

    ·          2008 NYC Fuel Gas Code.  

    References will include:

    ·         NYS Industrial code rules 4 and 14

    ·         Also NFPA 31 and 211

    ·         RCNY – Title 3- FDNY  (Rules of the City of NY, Fire Dept.)


    I know an engineer who sometime volunteers to help study for the exam. I assume this question comes from someone in NYC and if he wants to call me I can answer some of his questions and maybe put him in touch with this engineer.





    I hope this helps.

    Special thanks to my friend, Angel Gonzalez for pulling this information together for you.

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • prakashkumar
    prakashkumar Member Posts: 1
    oil burner installer in new york city

    the nyc license foroil burner installer in new york city is the typical license ,i am searching how to appear for the next test this year ,
  • Ct. Master Hvac
    Ct. Master Hvac Member Posts: 4
    NYC Burner installers license

    Its not easy to get one there. I tried to apply for one. I am a hvac contractor in connecticut, I hold an unlimited gas and oil burner installers license, also one in the city of mt. Vernon ny. They denied me because I did not work in the city. Any ideas would be great.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    edited February 2014
    it should

    Be reciprocal. But it's not. Ludricous and smells really bad. White plains requires not only a westchester license but also a White Plains special ticket. Even more insane considering 15 years ago NO heating license was needed in NY and all the close CT oil co's sent thier apprentices over to work unmolested. And it showed.
  • Ct. Master Hvac
    Ct. Master Hvac Member Posts: 4
    westchester county ny.

    Tell me about it, to replace a boiler, lets say gas for instense, a westchester county master plumber can only disconnect and reconnect gas and potable water connections. Then now the heating part of the system, circs ect. Now its local recquirements. Oh wait, A/c. Condenser changeouts, must call electrician to disconnect and reconnect electrical. Oh well. In Ct. Where I live, hvac contractors are allowed to run gas lines from start to finish. Disconnect and reconnect of potable water connections and electrical is considered incidential.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,097
    NYC doesn't reciprocate with ANY other municipalities...

    ..and I respect that and agree with it. The GREATEST City in the world is quite unique and special and any entity that contracts here NEEDS to come up through the ranks and put in the required time on the books. When one earns a license in NYC, one can work on a single family home OR the Empire State Bldg or Freedom Tower. There can be no 'on the job training' here as a contractor. Just read the papers.....all the unqualified / unlicensed people sneaking in and doing work...bringing buildings and edifices down...scaffold collapses. If you want a NYC license, put your time in with lic. NYC contractor first. It may not be "FAIR" but thats the way it goes here. Respectfully, Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,097
    ooops I forgot.......If you would like....

    I could put you in touch with a good buudy who has had that license a long time and could show you the ropes. Mad Dog
  • Ct. Master Hvac
    Ct. Master Hvac Member Posts: 4
    Same goes in CT.

    Hey mad dog, I fully and respectfully agree with you though. Same gose in CT. The CT Heating piping and cooling board says, if you haven't done class room work and served an apprenticeship In CT. Then you don't get a license In CT.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Using this logic

    An attorney or doctor could only practice in the state he attended  school?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607

    I don't know anything about NYC but most jurisdictions will:

    Check your qualifications

    If you qualify.. let you apply to take the test

    if you can prove you have an equivalent out of state license.

    that's how I got my CT.    E1 Master electrician and S1 Heating cooling Contractor. I was licensed in MA. first.
  • Lonestarr26
    Lonestarr26 Member Posts: 1
    i am trying to acquire Class A license now and need help taking written exam. Can someone point me to someone that can assist
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,097
    Contact NYC DOB. MAD DOG