Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

copper panel radiator

ed wallace
ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
I have a customer that wants to replace a cast iron radiator in a bathroom with a towel warmer radiator unfortunately she has steam heat I am curious can I build a towel warmer rad out of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 copper pipe qny comments on why it will not work

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    copper pipe towel warmer

the towel warmer may not have the thermal mass of a cast-iron radiator; and if the bathroom has any air leaks, it may be chilly!

maybe if the copper pipes could be filled with other smaller dia. copper pipes, it would retain more heat by virtue of it's additional mass.

you could try an experiment by making a double upright out of copper, just to see if the heat output is satisfactory.--nbc
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    I agree with NBC

if it is coupled to an otherwise cast iron radiator set, it will be cold moments after the thermostat shuts off the system. The physics gods will not be pleased.

Stay with cast iron and if they want warm towels, there are electric and hydronic towel warmers. I would put one of those in, in addition to cast iron room heat. 
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I would at least stick with iron

Iron pipe would be all I would choose for Steam towel warmers. I am planning on making one this summer. I will be using welded. pipe and fittings. I do know I will be loosing the thermal mass of cast iron. The thing is the previous owners had removed the radiators all together. My plan is to make what looks like a large comb with 1" laterals and a 1 1/4" vertical pipe.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • There are steam panel rads available...

look up steamradiators.com.  However, the problems of mass imbalances are still there.  Of course, you could go to TRV's for the complete home an install a mod steam boiler with and outdoor reset type control or, if two pipe, try to orifice all the rads and use the mod boiler with a mod thermostat.

Got anywhere on that Paul air vent system?
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
This discussion has been closed.