Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

catalytic converters

joemike
joemike Member Posts: 2
Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with catalytic converters? Does anyone know of any studies around that give estimates of fuel savings? Thanks.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Reminds me of the patented electronic supercharger for cars.

There was a gizmo marketed  for 30 years or so by J C Whitney company. It was claimed to be patented, and I looked up the thre patent numbers back when I had access to U.S.Patent Office documents.

The first version required you to cut the wires from the distributer to the spark plugs and insert the device. The second version was simpler to install: you pulled the wires off the spark plugs and inserted the device (one for each cylinder) between the spark plug and the distributer wire. These devices were all tied together by a wire. The third version was simplest of all. You took out your distributer rotor and put the "electronic supercharger" in its place. There was some printed circuit like copper on the top of the rotor.

Now the principle of the device relied on there being hot electricity and cold electricity. (I did electronics design for many years and never heard of hot or col electricity.) When the distributer fired, hot electricity was sent to the cylinder at the top of the compression stroke, and cold electricity went to the other cylinders. The hot electricity fired the mixture and caused the piston to go down as usual. The cold electricity went to the other cylinders and atomized the gasoline vapor like in a nuclear reactor.

They must have sold a lot of these or they would not have kept them in their catalog. I am amazed they could get a patent on the devices. I guess no one cared enough to challenge their patent.
  • fitch video math

shop owner says gizmo saved him 27%

assuming furnace is 80% efficient , 25% of 80% = 20% + 80% = 100% so 27% improvement takes it above 100%

Is there a tiny heatpump inside the Fitch cannister?
  • joemike
    joemike Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies so far

Thanks for the interesting replies so far. I was thinking more along the lines of the Rentar Furnace Catalyst for Oil Fired Burners - link

http://www.rentar.com/Furnace_Rentar_Fuel_Catalyst.htm

I believe there are other manufacturers as well.

Joemike
  • from a non scientific pppoint of view &

& an economical point= why dont major mfrs empppppploy this?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    snake oil

amazing what some people will spend money on
  • Unknown
    edited May 2011
    hey ity just a wsh

----------
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Every time fuel goes up.

We see this crap hit the market.  It is hard enough to keep up with the legitimate heating equipment changes, without having to answer customer questions about snake oil.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    What pressure and nozzle size required

to burn snake oil? There seems to be a glut of snake oil on the market, so it should be cheap.

I remember a while ago when Amory Lovins (an environmentalist) was recommending wood burning stoves. Someone asked him how he could justify cutting down trees to burn them for heat. HIs reply was he did not burn trees. What did he burn in them, then, His answer: energy studies.
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    HA HA HA HA

Just watching the video I noticed two things.  The first is where he was doing his efficiency test.  He was doing it in an elbow.  you can NOT get an accurate reading in an elbow.  The second thing when they showed the tester it was not showing efficiency it was showing a delta t.  what delta t it was showing could not tell you.  I wounder if it goes well with crackers and some mustard?  because its bologna.
This discussion has been closed.