Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator paint what kind to use?

Options
Dan_18
Dan_18 Member Posts: 20
Hey guys I'm stripping a cast iron radiator of many years of paint. When I'm done I would like to repaint it, its original color. It was a metallic silver. I remember reading some thing about the paint reflecting the radiant heat in to the room or back to the cast iron but I cant remember the details. As always thanks in advance. Dan F

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dan_18
    Dan_18 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    good to know

Thanks guys! That information is very helpfull. I will paint it metallic silver after all to keep  with the original look  of the house.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    RE:radiator paint what kind to use?

You're very welcome

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Rad Paint

There was a long discussion on this topic a year or three ago. Someone said that silver is marginally worse and terra-cotta (colour) is marginally better. May have been someone with an FLIR camera who posted, I forget who.
  • Unknown
    Options
    radiant,conductive, convective

heat is a juggler?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    you can try

high temp engine spray paint. I did mine years ago, and they still look great. If you can take them outside, that is the best way. The cast baseboard I left in place, masked off the floor and wall area and sprayed. The radiators went outside. I did mine in white, but an automotive store will have other colors. 
This discussion has been closed.