Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

blue monster teflon tape

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,974
Does anyone have experience using this product on steam pipe? I have some    2 1/2"/3" jobs coming up. Thanks.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    blue monster

I have used this water pipes with great success (doesn't rip, doesn't make a mess and doesn't leak)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Why do you need tape?

I use Pro dope the basic gray stuff. I see no reason for using too advanced of a product for a simple problem. If there is an issue with leaks it is in the threads either they are dirty or poorly cut.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    no real need

There is no real need. It's just easier on the hands and I don't need to worry about putting it down for a moment and leaving glob of dope somewhere. I have been using the grey dope without any performance issues. 
  • RDSTEAM
    RDSTEAM Member Posts: 134
    Options
    monster tape

isnt bad. the guys at work swear by it but i dont see any reason to spend more money for teflon. plus, im not a huge fan of the blue color. I think a job looks cleaner with white teflon and a small amount of dope (wipe off access when done). I use quite a bit of expando on steam piping too.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    use it all the time.

both in conjunction with tru-blu, megaloc or by itself on smaller stuff..works very well.. buy it by the case.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    Thanks

Would you use the tape by itself on 3" or in conjuntion with the dope?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    we do both

on steam..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    thanks

Thanks. I will try to post pics. Boiler should be going in sometime next week
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    with charlie on this

pro dope and a good thread equals no leaks.just finished 200' of 3" blk pipe.that is all we used.no leaks to report.a good thread,a good american fitting thats all it takes.by ythe way if anyone comes across an aqua ball valve do yourself a favour and throw it in the mongo pile
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    We used a mix

of Pro-Dope and Teflon based sealant on a bunch of 6 inch and 4 inch fittings not too long ago . No Teflon tape at all ( first time without it ) . No leaks . We doped the inner and outer threads of everything . Gotta admit cleaning the pipes after was not fun with that white goop all over  :)  
This discussion has been closed.