Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen remodel and baseboard convectors

GordoG
GordoG Member Posts: 15
<span style="font-size:12pt">We are planning a kitchen remodel/upgrade that will include new cabinets, electrical outlets, lights, hardwood floor and wall paint. That leaves the baseboard convectors are probably 60 years old. They are 'L' shaped and are 9' and 5' long. Convectors are 9.5" tall and 3" deep.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Option 1: Remove the metal covers, have the paint stripped and powder coat them at a local shop.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Option 2: Replace the the convectors with new ones. My system is a series loop (1 1/4" steel pipe) that splits in two with each sub loop ( 1" steel pipe) circling around half the 1St floor and meeting again before returning (1 1/4" steel pipe) to the boiler. There is about 12' of steel fins on the convectors in the kitchen. Would new convectors have to be 1" pipe also? Would 3/4" pipe create too much resistance?</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a heating service company who knows hydronic  systems, but I don't want to get snookered by a sales person. I would appreciate any ideas, hints or advice. Thanks.   </span>

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    You want to keep them the same size

unless you want to redo the whole system. You may be able to use 1" copper. Is this hot water or steam? If it is steam stay with 1" iron if that is what is there. You could cause balance issues. This is with out benefit of photos or seeing it in person. This is the safe answer.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • GordoG
    GordoG Member Posts: 15
    System type

It is a hot water system. Some of the pipes in the basement have been painted silver so I do not know if they are galvanized pipe or black pipe. They are all threaded though. The system works good now so I do not want to upset the balance of it. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.