Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buying a Used Trinity

BigBigEd
BigBigEd Member Posts: 11
I'm new to this forum. I've installed a few slant fin boilers. Excuse the lack of technical wording.

Recently, I bought a used NTI Trinity T200 mod/con boiler for $300.

I chatted with the previous owner for a couple hours to make sure he wasn't selling me a lemon.

He was a pretty technical guy, and has lots of money. He was convinced (maybe for good reason) to go with two Viseman boilers for his 5000 sq foot bungalow. He wanted the boilers in a different location and really wanted redundancy to protect the property if he was away.

He was happy to give me a great deal on the old one, and the $300 was clearly not a big deal to him. He wanted to see the boiler used somewhere. His experience was a bunch of premature burned out igniters....sounded like a cycling problem to me. He said he had to constantly blow out the condensate tube to get it to work again. The tube was restricted and he thought it didn't have the proper fall. Other than that, he said the unit was great.

The unit is a T200 and is about 6-7 years old.

The property that it will go into is a 3 storey, 100 year old, 4500 sq ft, with old radiators.

Questions..

1. Should I bother? Is the unit worth installing?

2. Any known problems with this unit ( I really like the triangle tube, but this boiler practically free) This unit in Canada sells for aprox. $6,000 with tax

3. I thought about leaving the slant fin in the boiler room as back-up. Should I bother?

4. Is this unit ready for domestic HWT

5. I've heard that retrofitting an old system with old rads isn't great because there isn't adequate heating surface area on the old rads to lower the water temp enough so that the boiler works in the efficient condensing temperatures. Thoughts?

6. Do you think I'll save much fuel (NG)?

I have a pretty good contractor who has installed NTI Trinitys. He told me that the heat exchanger need to be cleaned thoroughly every year.

I appreciate any help.

Comments

• wookie
    wookie Member Posts: 2
    Looking for T200

Did you ever install the T-200 boiler? I'm looking for a spare.
  • wookie
    wookie Member Posts: 2
    Looking for T200

Did you ever install the T-200 boiler? I'm looking for a spare.
This discussion has been closed.