Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combo AC air handler and HRV

Hi Folks,

I'm building a new house with in floor radiant heat on each level. Here in Ontario we need AC during mid summer. I was looking at ductless AC but it seems very expensive and looks like I would need more than one outdoor unit to have capacity spread around the house. Since I need trunking for HRV, I thought I should put in proper supply and return ductwork and install a conventional AC coil in an air hanler and the HRV would be connected to through the plenum. Does this make sence and can I get a self contained AC/HRV unit without a hydronic heating coil? Any feedback would be most appreciated. 

thanks Mark

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Lifebreath I believe

makes something akin to what you are looking for. The AC is an add-on, 2-4 ton range,  to what is otherwise a hot water coil furnace. But they have good electronics, thoughtful sequences.

http://www.lifebreath.com/category.php?category_id=6
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Ok if...

It can work OK if you still run dedicated exhaust runs to the bathrooms and kitchen, and if the air handler you use has a Variable speed ECM motor.

If you use the central air ducting for both fresh and exhaust runs, you'll likely find it takes too long for the bathrooms to dry after showering. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    The Lifebreath

has an internal HEX in parallel to the return air path so you can run express exhaust ducting.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.