Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron steam radiators

Houserobbed
Houserobbed Member Posts: 1
Where do I find the cast iron steam heat radiators for a single ended system. Or Pipe with fins so I can build my own,

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Where are you located?

Local salvage yards are the place I would start. In Somerville, MA is Fran Fahey at A-1, near Union Square. He has LOTS of radiators. You may find them for less cost but Fran pressure tests them, warranties them and catalogs them by EDR capacity.

You can go to any salvage yard and ask, but at more risk to you.

As for making your own using fin-tube, I have to make an emphatic point that you ONLY want to do that if ALL of the radiators are of the same material, in your case steel fins on steel tubing for steam. When you add any radiation where the remainder of the house is cast iron, those spaces with fin tube or low mass radiation will be noticeably cooler than your cast iron heated rooms. The lower mass radiators cool off rapidly between cycles, you see.

If all are heated with fin-tube this is less of a problem.

I would stick with cast iron throughout. Period.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    where are you ...

located? I have some coming out of a job.  I'm in NH. kpc
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    steam radiators

In need of a steam radiator 32 high 12 section 3column any one in metro boston have a used radiator at a decent price
This discussion has been closed.