Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

taco zone control boxes?

cheeko Member Posts: 2
Is there a difference between a circulator 4 zone control {SR504} and I want to put it on a 6 zone valve control {ZVC406}. Did I buy the wrong Taco valve control box or is it o.k. to wire this the same way the 4 zone is. 



  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997

    If you are running six zone valves than you will not need the circulator control as the aquastat on the boiler will take care of your circulator. Unless of course you are running 2 or more circulators as well as the zone valves. Need a better understanding of what your trying to do..

    sr504 control's 4 circulators

    zvc406 controls 6 zone valves

    you cannot switch the two around...
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Taco Control Boxes:

    A Taco SR 504 will control 4 circulators used for zoning and NO zone valves.

    A ZVC 406 will control 6 zone valves and one circulator unless you have more circulators in which case, you need to use a SR501 relay.

    In other words, SR's are switching relays to run things that are controlled by low voltage thermostats and ZVC (Zone Valve Controller) will control multiple zone valves and power them. It will act as a start a relay for a pump.

    Does that help?

    If you are trying to only run zone valves, you probably need the different controller.

    If you have multiple zone valves that run off of one circulator, and you have an indirect with a separate circulator, you will need a SR501 to run that.
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!