Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

black tubing on the roof

Options
black polyethylene cheapo tubing ~1" diameter & assuming roll is 1000' long should hold about 20 gal.

i want to lay it flat in circular manner on the roof- held up by the chimney & minimal bracing

Q= if it lays on the roof [no glazing] with no moving water , will it overheat, burst or whatever else in the course of a day?.............thanx

Comments

• Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Options
    UV destruction

This stuff will only last in the sun for about 2 years. Not worth pursuing, IMO.

On a daily basis, however, they won't go over about 160F. Check the pipe specs to see if that's OK at your pressure.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • seekertom
    seekertom Member Posts: 20
    Options
    tried this

I tried to get hot water like this, too, but found that there isn't enough heat transfer thru the plastic to continue with it. Everyone knows how hot water gets inside a garden hose in  the summer sun, but few of us think about how long the water must remain in the hose to get there. I bet if you spent say 50.00 for the black pipe, you'd find that 50.00 worth of copper painted black would be so much better.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    SolarRoll

was a black EPDM hose that was used for solar collection.

Your system would have a fairly limited range of use. It really needs to be in a box, with insulation and a glass cover or the ambient air temperature will snatch most of the gain.

Basically you are building a swimming pool collector. They work great when the fluid temperature and ambient temperature are the same or close. Performance drops quickly are the surrounding temperature drops.

You might do better painting a tank black and setting it in the sun :) The very first solar thermal collector patented back in 18--something was a painted galvanized tank in a box.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Pook are you trying to get killed

I read your other posts in the oil forum. I think you need to call a professional. you are coming up with so many ways of wasting money I think you need to quit while you are behind.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • & AGAIN

u bother to type nothing relevant to the topic if only to assert ur superiority?= if u cant explain how opening up the bypass on the oil pump, then please explain how a roll of tubing on my roof is going to kill me as a whole
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    It over heats when the pump stops

You walk near it , it bursts you get burnt from the hot water you fall off the roof. Or worse you decide to forgo the heat exchanger and run domestic through the pipe and during cloudy weather you grow a nice colony of bacteria and make a bunch of people sick.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.