Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Woodshop Heat

Options
pauls
pauls Member Posts: 1
I have a wood shop, about 3000 cubic feet, located in a mobile home that I want to heat when in use in New England winters. I would want to raise the temperature from the outside temperature, 20 degrees,  and maintain it at a reasonably comfortable temperature, 65 degrees, while working. I have tried propane buddy heaters, they give off to much moisture from the propane combustion, and an electric 12000 btu 240 volt heater which takes to long to warm the area and runs constantly. I have come up with the idea of installing a RV furnace running on propane using my deep cycle trolling motor battery to fire it  Just as might as well give it something to do in the winter months. Using a btu calculator 16000 btus is recommended for the cubic footage   I can purchase a used operating heater of 40000 btu for around $300. Would the use of the larger btu furnace be advisable because of the drastic temperature change in the initial start up?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    woodshop heater

i don't see a big issue with the larger heater. I would be more concerned about and my top priority in selecting a heater would be the environment in which it will be operating. It must be sealed combustion as sawdust and fumes from finishing products can make for an explosive environment. Make sure the unit and you are properly protected from the dangers of sawdust clogging air intakes and from the potential dangers of fumes if you do any finishing in that area. IF you do, anything with a strong fan is going to move a lot of dust around, so selection of the proper equipment is vital to your comfort and the quality of your finished products.
This discussion has been closed.