Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator pump question for Vitodens 200

Options
veissman_Bob
veissman_Bob Member Posts: 48
From what I can tell, the vitodens 200 uses 3 pumps - a boiler pump, an indirect water heater pump, and a zone circulator pump.  What types of pumps would you recommend for each of these?  I'm considering between a Wilo and a Grundfos Alpha variable speed pump for zone circulator (four zones with zone control valves) because I think this will adjust the output as needed and save me some electricity cost.  But I'm not sure if it's worth spending extrac money on a variable speed pump for the boiler pump or the indirect water heater pump since I think these won't run nearly as often as the heating zone pump.

So which pump would you recommend for the heating zones, and would you use this same pump in the other areas??

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Pumps for Vitodens:

I use Wilo pumps.  I use Wilo "Star" 3 speeds for boiler, indirect and zone circulators. If I do the zones with zone valves, I use a variable speed pump. It works for me. I'm not an expert here. Someone else may say something else. That's just what works for me.

I started using Wilo pumps as soon as I realized that you can't use those disgusting red rubber gaskets that aren't supposed to be used with square cut O-rings. They use big fat wide gaskets that won't leak.
  • croydoncorgi
    croydoncorgi Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Be careful here!

Maybe a case of '2 nations divided by common language' or maybe the Vitodens 200 (US) spec you have is different.

However....

In UK there is some unfortunate history with the inbuilt 'shunt' pump installed with the Vitodens 200 range.  I believe Viessmann has now changed to another brand (not Wilo) due to problems with the modulating pump they originally used on that boiler.

(Note that in UK / Europe quite a lot of boilers (known as 'system' boilers) come with a pump (often already installed inside the casing) which is in fact large enough to meet the whole demand for pump capacity for boiler and the building.)

In the particular case of the Vitodens 200 (UK spec) you CANNOT fit a non-Viessmann-supplied part as the 'primary' boiler pump because it needs a specific (Ebus) control interface to connect to the boiler.  Does NOT have any external control or power supply.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    The new USA 200

does not have an integral system pump,the previous model did,a 220V Wilo
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Croydon

What is the lifespan of a wall mount condensing boiler in the UK?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Simple

Boiler and Domesitc Pumps

WB2B-19,25,35  Grundfoss UPS15-58 3 Speed, Taco OOR or Wilo Star S 21X

WB2B-45,60,80,105 Grundfoss UPS26-99 3-Speed on speed 2.

System Pump - Properly sized pump (Grundfoss Alpha) until the Bumble Bee comes out..Have a BETA model running 6.5gpm using 2 watts.....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• veissman_Bob
    veissman_Bob Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Thank You!

Any idea when the Bumble Bee will be released??  Would love to use that if it's not too far off.....
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
    Head loss (Bumble Bee)

6.5 GPM at 2 watts - with what kind of head loss?

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Head Loss

It's a state secret. No more then 7'..

This discussion has been closed.