Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect Water Heater lifespan

Options
I'm trying to decide between a Vitocell 300 series 53 gallon horizontal indirect tank, a Triangle Tube Smart 60, or a comparable WM tan  k.  All are stainless steel and all apparantly have a lifetime warranty.  Should I be able to expect a 30 year life out of all of these tanks, or is the Viessmann the only one that'll last that long?  If the Viessmann truly is the only tank to last that long, I'd gladly pay the extra price up front (it's double the cost).

Comments

• James Day_2
    James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
    Options
    tanks

I believe Viessmann is the only tank that is a true lifetime warranty.  All the other tanks are pro-rated after 8 years.  Viessmann's V-300 last I heard will replace the tank no matter when it fails.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I have not installed a Veissman

but I have installed both of the others and replaced them both through warranty. company stood behind them even with questionably water chemistry. If the water is harsh enough you will need to replace any of them. Check your water quality no matter the tank you choose.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    I second James' post.

I have used all three and the Vitocell 300 is the only one without a prorated warranty.  They use 316Ti stainless.  The Ti stands for Titanium.  The others are great tanks, they use 316L.  I have had a few problems over the years with the TT/WM tank within a tank design.  Minor though.  The only leak that I have ever had on a Vitocell was a purosity issue on one of the nipple welds.  Replaced the whole tank.  That is one out of a bunch.  98% of mine are on well water with varying water conditions. 

Just curious, are you going to stack the boiler and dhw with the horizontal?
  • meplumber
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sorry Duplicate Post.

• veissman_Bob
    veissman_Bob Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I'd like to......

Just curious, are you going to stack the boiler and dhw with the horizontal?

To answer the Q above, I'd LOVE to do that but from what I can see the piping coming out of the bottom of the Vitodens (boiler supply, return, condensate drain) won't allow me to stack it.  I thinking of mounting the boiler on the wall and having the water heater below it, but not necessarily stacked on top of it.
  • meplumber
    Options
    Your correct.

The Vitodens can only be wall mounted. 

I used to stack a lot of the Vitolas with the Vitocell H-300 under them.  Great set up.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    Options
    What about Burnham?

Anyone use the Alliance?

http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/products/water-heaters/alliance-sl/index.php

It appears not to use stainless of any variety.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    There Is NO Comparison

Let's not forget that coil is made of the same 316-Ti as the tank. Tank has a much larger coil sqft surface, extremly insulated, has a spot for a recirc pump, recovery rates blow away the competition....Did I say I am partial to Viessmann :)

It is a true lifetime tank.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.