Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy hot water boiler

Options
jhier
jhier Member Posts: 1
Hello all,

I installed a weil-mclain CGs boiler in a residential customers home approximatly 3 years ago. I removed a old weil-mclain boiler and a gas fired bradford white water heater. I replaced the water heater wtih a indirect fired GOLD tank. I had no problems with the system for a 1 year period. After the first year the customer began noticing noises rezonating from the boiler. After a few hours of troubleshooting i confirmed that the system only made the noise when the boiler was firing. And i am certain it is not the draft inducer motor. The noises seemed loudest on start up. So far i have attempted to power flush the boiler. I also contacted tech-support and thier lead technician for my area and he came to the jobsite. He was pleased with the boiler installation and informed me that the noises were most likely from scale buildup on the bottom of the sections which was allowing steam pockets to form within the scale. He gave me a product called sentinal X400 which i put into the system. This product is intended to break up the scale so the noises will go away. I have folowed the directions from the additive but have had no sucess. Does anyone have any ideas on de scaling the boiler, and what type of acid and/or vinegar i should use?

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    find cause

First you need to find out what is causing the scale and more than likely you're taking on make up water via a leak. Easy enough to do, just turn off  power and make up water and see if the pressure gauge goes down over a period of time. A boiler that young shouldn't be having those problems, even with crappy water. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.