Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buderas indirect water heater

gkratt
gkratt Member Posts: 6
anybody have any experience with the s120 indirect.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,138
    buderus indirect tanks

These are my standard indirect tank that i install.I have been putting them in for about 10 years or so  maybe  abit longer and have no issue and have had no failures .I believe the st120 is there smaller ecomony model to compete with standard american indirects .I do have 2 or 3 of them installed and have no issues i usually install there st150 tanks (40 gal ) and the st200(50 gal) the main reason i like them is the removable manhole to clean them if the coil gets limed up and of course the leveling legs and best of all all pipe connections are in the rear of the tank easier to connect and easier to make the job look alot better and easier to mount and support pipes to the wall.As always one should follow the manafactures directions and standard installation practices and local codes by installing a mixing valve to prevent the chance scalding and always install a portable expansion tank which should be charged to match the existing buildings water pressure .I always follow these standards and in over 15 years of installing indirects i have yet to have one fail due to thermal expansion issues.for the small amount of extra money for a buderus tank i feel that they can not be beaten .Great tank have one installed in my own house 8 years no issues .Hope this helps peace and good luck clammy 

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• gkratt
    buderas indirect

The reason I'm using the s120 is because of height restrictions , going with peerless boiler wbv 3 section have to stuff it underneath my steps.
  • clammy

I belive the st 150 tanks is shorter then the s120 tanks but they are wider and larger capacity gallon wise .either way a great tank you will be happy .HTP also makes a short indirect but around here stainless steel tankshave been reported to fail alot due to hi chlorine levels in portable water .I personal do like  them pipe connections coming out at all angles make it look like crap when piped not my favorite  peace and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    S-120

Is my favorite indirect,by far! Do about 50/year with zero problems!

http://www.technicalheating.com/default.asp?iId=GDEJML
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • gkratt
    buderas s120

I didn't buy yet so I didn't see instructions , do I need a separate expansion tank for cold feed into tank?
  • clammy
    depends

It depends i myself personally do on my own jobs weather it is a indirect or a standard gas/oil hot water heater.In my area we mostly have city water and can have extremly hi water pressure which usually requires a  potable water pressure reducing valve do to the fat that you blow safeties on hot water heaters and tend to wear flush valves and such .Alot of manafatures do show one in there piping diagrams where pressure reducing valves are installed also note that some companies do offer a PRV with thermal by pass even so i usually always install a potable expansion tank unless the custermer choses not to .I know some indirect manafactures reccomend them and failure to install voids there warranties .This has not happened to me personally but to morethen a few places i have worked at over the years.Peaceand god luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    It is a budget...

indirect. The insulation on it is really substandard for Buderus standards. I have installed a few and they are ok.... but they do have standby losses higher that most. If it were my home I would opt for a LT tank or a brand like HTP/ Superstor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Kcopp

No leakers with the HTP?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • kcopp
    Robert...

1 and it was under warrnty. TT would be nice too but height was an issue according to the poster. The buderus s-120 really is just a 7 yr tank.
  • clammy
    Question for kcopp

Just a quick question for you and not to stir the pot but why do you say the s120 tank is a 7 year tank? i have 1 or 2 that are approaching 10 years with no issues ,i understand the  higher stand by loss due to no isulation on the top of the tank but the tank still has a top clean out which is more then HTP/TT .As for the TT tanks most of the supply house refuse to do warranty on them and 1 charges you 200 bucks for a warranty exchange(chain supply house ) alot of guys in my area will not use them to many issues but i believe most are not installing domestic expansion tanks on there installs .I can not say much being i have a couple out there the longest about 12 years or more no issues yet but at the time it was abudget job and i got the tank at bargian prices.As for the buderus LT tank  i installed 2 of them (tight space) and was not impressed on the recovery as compared to the st stlye tanks .To myself the biggest down fall of the TT tanks is draining them when replacing them on both the potable and heating side .I had replaced a 80 with a buddy a few weeks ago and what a hassle beside being a heavy tank with a extra 10 to 20 gallons of water left in it made it even harder but then again i am getting older and weaker  .Looking for your input on this subject .Peace and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• kcopp
    Don't know...

what to say about your supplier. I have never had that issue w/ warranty claims. Not that i have had that many issues. Water quality has everything to do w/ it. There is not one water heater (indirect or otherwise) that meets every persons needs. Some people can pay more than others. The ORIGINAL poster wanted advice about an indirect that would fit in a space. I gave him my thoughts about the s120. It is ok. However it not super well insulated compared to the ST or LT tanks. Thats all. I'm sure you can find Sepco water heaters out there from the 60's still in use. I have a ssu-60 ...so far no issues after 6+ years... hopefully it stays that way! The Buderus tanks leave a lot of room for then to wiggle out of the warrty.

http://www.buderus.us/files/201001182053010.Res-CommWarranty0608V2.pdf
This discussion has been closed.