Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valves

TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
Installed a Prestige boiler 3 winters ago with 2 Taco EBV zones.

The zone valves worked well for two years but have given me trouble this season.

They opened but refused to close. This left the customers home very warm when they returned. I manually reset the valve and cycled the stat and they seemed to be ok only to fail a few weeks later.( Both valves have done this, though at separate times).

I installed the valves 3 years ago although the date code seems to be a older. They must have been sitting on my wholesalers shelf for a few years.

Anyone else have trouble with these valves?

Comments

• Taco EBV

I've had problems with them as well even though they are supposed to be new and improved. 

When they first came out, it was the valve itself that was bad and you had to replace the whole thing.  Now, it just seems to be the operator and it's a quick change-out.

Do a search on this site and find Joe Mattielo (sp?) and email him about your problem.  He works for Taco and has been very responsive here on The Wall.  Maybe he can help you out.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Zone Sentry

The Zone Sentry heads pop on the valve bodies. This was the first version of a Pop-Top for them when they bought out another company. I've seen plenty of issues with these old style heads. Suggest you take a look at the Zone Sentry heads for the retrofit change.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709
    EBV valve

Hi Tony

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing problems with the EBV valve.  Admittedly, there have been some issues with the EBV valve, and taco has been replacing them through attrition with the new Zone Sentry valve.  You mentioned the valve is approximately 3 years old which quantifies for the factory warranty.  You should contact the dealer you purchased the valve from, and exchange it for the latest and greatest Zone Sentry valve actuator part number   ZA024Q4A1. 

The Zone Sentry valve actuator is easy to install, and should not require any more than a few minutes of your time.  For your reference I attached a link to the taco website. 

http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products/Zone%20Sentry%3Csup%3E%26reg%3B%3C/sup%3E%20Zone%20Valve/products.html?current_category=396

If you have questions or concerns you can contact me directly. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    the new improved ones are way way better...

have a bunch installed

be careful when manually operating it  as it only turns 90 degrees and only one direction - and if you tork it with a screwdriver u will snap the thin plastic manual shaft - taco is working on a fix for this too cause every worker brakes the first one they get their hands on before they actually bother to read the sticker on the valve, we sent back 8 pieces because of this - taco has been a good sport about it

i like it that u can change the orientation of the motor as i like to see the status led, so if its mounted low, i wire from the top, and if its high, i wire from the bottom, so the led is eazy to see

i want taco to make 1.25 and 1.5 ones, as with the advent of VFD's as in the new taco 1900 series with built in VariableFreqenncyDrive or an ecm pump form Wilo or grunfos and soon taco themselves - u will see a lot more zoning of system sections, so there is a need for larger EBV's, grundfos figured it out and is already making them - caleffi has them planed -  the "loadmatch" system is nice  but not "green" - variable ecm pumps with zone valves are, - taco is scrambling now to bring ecm pumps to market - with the "bumblebee"now, and soon i;v been told they will have ecm versions of the 2400 series - the biggest problem with doing the larger ebv sizes is operating torque  - will probably need need two capacitor driven motors and more gear reduction to do - they are looking at it - i spoke to someone about it at ASHREE - im always on the "bleeding" edge pushing the envelope

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Date Codes on Taco Handles:

Joe,

What's the story on the date codes on the lever/handles of the 57* power heads. I thought I had replaced a b ad one in my home and I had another that looked new but the date codes didn't make sense. I asked at my supply house (Plumbers' Supply) and no one knew or could figure it out. Every replacement head in the bin had a different date code that made no sense.

Is it a proprietary secret?
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709
    date code

The date code is pretty simple to decipher; it’s the month and year the valve was manufactured.  However, we do date them 6 months in advance to allow for shelf life. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
This discussion has been closed.