Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Pool Noodle" as pipe insulation

Options
mark schofield
mark schofield Member Posts: 153
I saw "Pool Noodles" in the local dollar store a few days ago. Various gaudy colors. 4' long. 3/4 ID hole and about 1.25 wall thickness. From what I can find out, they are made of polyethylene closed cell foam. I tried to find information about the health and safety issues (fire, fumes)with different answers/opinions, and melting point which seems to be about 220 degrees. Would this product be appropriate for pipe insulation for hydronics and DHW. They were incredibly cheap. (this isn't meant to be an insulting or foolish question). thanks     Mark S.

Comments

• jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    quick test

get a piece of standard pipe insulation, and a pool noodle, see if there is any difference in how quick or easy they burn.   my guess is they both give off tasty fumes when burned.     don't forget too, if your pipe insulation is burning, what other stuff is already burning too........

also you can check the on the box of pipe insulation and see if there is any "approvals".
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Interesting

They also would come in handy, to hit your helper up side his head!! Kidding!

Actually not a bad idea, I was thinking about all the cool colors they make them in. You could have different colors for supply, return, hot, cold, and recirc. Would set the mech. room off or make it look like a box of crayons!

However I don't know how you could figure out there ratings. But if it was for yourself, who cares!
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    If I were to use

pool noodles as pipe insulation, I would only use them on hot water. I do not trust that 220F rating for a finished product. 

Yes, a solid block of PE might have that rating (I really do not know), but I can almost guarantee that no one tested the pool noodle for a condition so far outside of its actual use.

Yes, I do prefer my hot tub on the warm side, but if a pool noodle melts at a certain temperature, it may have a market on CannibalCookery.com as a way to say, "Done!"

I would stick with rated products installed according to their listing and seek color elsewhere. :)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.