Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOT WATER COIL

Options
seagull
seagull Member Posts: 3
I HAVE A LARGE AIR HANDLER WITH A HEATING COIL . THE COIL HAS NO ID NUMBERS.  I KNOW THE TON-AGE OF THE SYSTEM. WHAT IS MY BEST WAY TO ESTIMATE THE HEAT OUTPUT OF THE COIL.  ALL I KNOW IS THE TON-AGE OF THE A/C SYSTEM.  THANKS FRED 

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Info Needed to Determine

The very least I would need is

1) The face dimensions (inside the frame, the net finned area),

2) The number of rows (single row has aligned u-bends, two row will have stacked but angled u-bends, three will have offset u-bends, sometimes more rows, most will be one or two standard).

3) Circuiting (if series serpentine or if each circuit splits and starts and stops from each header. Most cost-based coils are serpentine, fewer joints to braze and headers cost money.)

4). OK you talked me into it. What is the tonnage of the system and do you know the airflow in CFM? I can get a handle on the CFM from the tonnage, but want to get more info if I can.

5) Entering air temperature in winter, e.g. does the unit take in any outside air or is it all recirculated? What is the city and state or province? Adding in outside air can reduce the available space heating capacity.

If I can get the above, I can run a few selections and see if I can get a comparable capacity. What hot water temperature are you running and at what temperature drop for the system?
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.