Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Quality

Greg Maxwell
Greg Maxwell Member Posts: 212
I work at a wholesaler in Maine. We are starting to run into problems with spray angle on some of our oil fired boilers. We have a piece of equip that we sell that has used an 80 degree W Delavan, and now suddenly we can no longer use that, we have to go to a 60 degree. The equip has not changed. As a matter of fact, some of these problems are happening to equip that is 4-5 years old. We have discussed all the probabilities that we can think of, and the only thing that we can come up with is fuel quality, viscosity, and atomization. Now, we know that we have had garbage for fuel for some time now, but we have never seen this particular issue. Has anyone else been seeing this? We have heard that some of the fuel distributors have been adding bio-fuel to thier #2, and there is a varying description of what biofuel actually consists of, the amount that is being added, and the method of mixing.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Oil Quality/nozzle Spray:

This is probably a popular fixed head burner?

I ask, does this 80' A nozzle work at first, after a complete servicing of the fuel system, new filter, pump strainer and nozzle? If it works at first, and I mean, the first ten minutes to one hour, and tested with test equipment as lowly as a wet bulb tester. If it does, and the flame devolves after some time, when it is serviced, when you take the nozzle assembly out, and hold the nozzle end up, does the oil freely flow out the end? Or does it run out slowly? If it does, AND the nozzle ran OK at first, take another NEW nozzle of the same brand and firing rate. Unscrew the strainer on the new nozzle and swap it onto the old nozzle. Fire it. Does it run better or just as bad. Check it with the tester. If the numbers are the same as when you started, it may be a bad nozzle. If it is not, it may be a bad nozzle strainer.

If the filter(s) are not spin-on's, change them. Use two. Screw the foolish "Mud Filter". It's dirty. If the first one is heavier than the second when you drain the oil out, it is full of sludge.  What I have seen happen is that sludge gets through the junk filters and ends up clogging the back side of the strainer. If you have the pump set to 150#, the inside at the nozzle orifice may be less than 100#.

Diesel generators Diesel trucks and marine Diesels are using 2 Micron filters. Garber "R" spin-ons are 10 micron. Model (M) are 40 as I understand.

I think you have cruddy fuel that is contaminating your nozzle strainers.

Let me know what you find.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    is this

a Slant Fin? I personally don't like "W" nozzles in Becketts, if that is what it is. With lower sulfur, I have been seeing more carbon on endcones. I don't think a 60 degree nozzle will help you for very long. I would definitely use additives, and go over all burner settings, head adjustments, pump pressure, etc. We are getting crap for oil, and at such a premium price to boot
This discussion has been closed.