Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone monitor collector water flow?

2»

Comments

• seekertom
    seekertom Member Posts: 20
    no big bro, really? awwwww.

Reason I asked about mod edits is because of the 'rule' don't discuss pricing. I don't understand this one. I have found this forem to be an extremely great help in working my current project, but I have to say, it might just be an improvement to be able to discuss prices here. What better way to help each other than point someone in the right direction, $-wise?

Besides that, in this particular case of mine, I felt it was important to explain why i needed to work on a home-fix, rather than just go buy new. Without discussing prices, how would anyone know I was operating on a mis-conception of what my repair costs might be? As it was, I did a lot of backwork trying to figure out how to fix an expensive pump, only to discover replacement costs ended up being about a 3rd of what I expected.

Maybe there's another reason behind it that I'm not aware of yet.

As of today, I ordered a new pump, but the mcv will have to wait. I can valve-off, valve-on manually for a while. Maybe I'll even rubegoldberg a home-solution for twenny bux!

thanks again,

t
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Home Depot Stocks Swing & spring Check valves.

Look in the sprinkler section, they only cost "$ one digit"
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    The reason we don't discuss pricing....

A sad matter of fact is, that more than 90% of the people in business, have absolutely NO idea of what their direct costs of being in business are, and they charge what THEY feel the market can bear. If you were in downtown New York, you'd be paying well over $150.00 per man hour for plumbing services.

Maybe you found a retired plumber in Florida who really doesn't need the money, just does it for the heck of it and to keep his self busy, and he charges maybe $50.00 per hour. So, if you compare YOUR price to a price for a similar replacement in NY, then it causes ALL KINDS of problems, to say nothing of the potential for law suits flying for potential price fixing allegations. Hence, we don't discuss prices to stay out of trouble around here.

As for finding the best price for a replacement pump, anyone with an internet connection has the ability to do that. It will generally cost you more than what we as contractors would pay for it, but it would be less than what a contractor would charge you in the way of mark up and profit margin on top of their direct costs. We have to make a living too...

Hopefully now, you and anyone else reading this understands why that policy exists.

Thanks for playing by the rules.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • seekertom
    seekertom Member Posts: 20
    prices...

I can see the point of labor, but materials costs are something without borders or locations. What I pay in Fl for a pump is what the guy in NJ pays, providing it's from the same vendor. So if I mention I'm about to spend $x.xx on a part, what's wrong with someone commenting on it?

Count your blessings on price control (maybe not the right term) in your industry. I like the idea that your price, as a contractor, is better than mine, as a homeowner. I've been in computers since 1969. Back then, no supplier would ever think of selling to the end user at anything near my price. Nowadays, anyone can buy anything, all at the same price, in good deal due to the internet. This has all but run me and a ton of others in our industry right out into the street selling popcorn. (want xtra butter?)

Rules. Gotta love 'em.... 'slong as everyone plays by them.

This is a great board. Think I'll go bust a few things just sos I have questions to ask!

thanks,

t

This discussion has been closed.