Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit

which pump

OsbornOsborn Member Posts: 30
Could someone tell me which pump(s) is recommended for Triangle Tube 175 Solo  CH circulator? 



  • CMadatMeCMadatMe Member Posts: 3,066
    Pump Size

    The central heating pump should be sized to be able to move gpm requirement of the btu's that need to be delivered while overcoming the head loss of that particular system or zone. In the case of a multiple zone that would be the zone that has the highest head. If the pump can overcome the highest head, it can overcome all.

    I'm assuming you pri/sec piped the boiler.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • OsbornOsborn Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2011
    pump / sizing / zones

    I'm a diy homeowner... piecing this project together with the help of an old school plumber who thinks my boiler is tiny.

    The heat loss is 10000 in my largest zone, which is also the farthest from the boiler, about 25 vertical and 50 horizontal feet.  Two rads 5 column, 24 inch high,  12 sections each.  With an EDR of 3.5 per section, at 160 degrees that gives me 120 btu/hr x 3.5 x 12  - plus or minus 5,000btu hour per rad.      I guess this zone isn't oversized.  Piping is 3/4 pex.

    Any suggestions on the pump?  I have taco 007f for the zone circulators.

    Yes, we are trying to finalize our piping scheme.  Triangle Tube does not provide a drawing that integrates the domestic (in my case a superstor 60).  The idhw zone will be piped from the secondary loop with a taco 0010 pump; Ts for the heating system will follow.  I'm sifting through through the internet rich diy info to be sure i get it right.   I know I should have a certified installer but the budget is just gone...

  • Jean-David BeyerJean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,663
    If money does not permit certified installer, ...

    I am just a homeowner, too, but some things should not be done yourself, especially the first time. If I wanted to install an hydronic system, I would try to get a job as a helper to a real pro first. I learn best from books, but having done enough engineering in my life, I learned the importance of getting away from the desk and over to the workbench frequently. Here is a really great book about hydronic heating by a guy who very obviously knows both the theory and the practice of these systems:

    Reading this book is extremely helpful in understanding these systems, and there is a link in the book that enables you to get the free academic version of some really great software tools for designing these systems. They run on Windows. One of the tools enables you to calculate required expansion tank size. Another calculates flow rates withany of a very large number of circulators. A professional would prefer the paid professional version of the software, though.

    One thing he does not cover, and he is right not to cover it, is how to test and adjust gas and oil burners. I have read how to do it, but that is like learning how to swim or ride a bicycle by reading books. Yet even if you install your system, you really must have the burner set up by someone who knows what he is doing and has the tools necessary to do it; i.e., he needs a combustion analyzer in addition to a screw driver, and he needs to know how to use both.
  • CMadatMeCMadatMe Member Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2011
    Budget Gone

    Think of what it will cost to fix your budget gone job. Spending a few dollars to pay someone with experience in what you are doing to consult for a day will be miles cheapier..

    Where did you purchase the TT from? There is an applications manual with the proper piping diagram. Have your contractor friend go to the supply house and get it. You said you need the CH pump..CH pump would be the zone pumps. Indirect would get piped on the primary (boiler) side not the secondary.

    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • OsbornOsborn Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2011

    Thanks for your advice.   I'm not going to rush this.  It's the last thing I'm going to finish on this project.  Your idea of hiring somebody to consult the job may be my best option. 

    Triangle Tube install manuals don't provide a drawing that integrates the heat and hot water piping.   My friend has installed a munchkin boiler; they call for the domestic piped from the secondary loop before the heating zones. 

    From the TT manual:  "The piping for the DHW is separate from the boiler system piping and does not require a primary / secondary piping configuration."  

    So the domestic pulls directly from the boiler loop...

    Do you feel a zone valve set up with a larger pump is a better design?  Saves electricity for sure.

    I will take a look at that book too.  
  • CMadatMeCMadatMe Member Posts: 3,066

    I would be using a properly sized pump like the Grundfoss Alpha, Taco VDT or similar pump and zone with valves. I left you a present attached.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Jean-David BeyerJean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,663
    Beautiful .pdf

    That .pdf with all the piping diagrams is quite lovely. Nicest manual I have seen.
  • CMadatMeCMadatMe Member Posts: 3,066
    I Struggled

    With whether to post it or not. I felt bad, since he has already purchased the boiler and has a contractor helping him with the install, I thought it was the right thing to do. I'd rather see him do it right then end up in trouble which from his post is where he is heading.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • OsbornOsborn Member Posts: 30

    I really appreciate that.   I think I'll return the pumps and go for the valve set up too.   Any recommendation of the manufacturer of the valves?

    I post back when we get somewhere on this install. 
  • CMadatMeCMadatMe Member Posts: 3,066
    Taco Zone Sentry

    Take a look at the Taco Zone Sentry's. Ball valve style, 3yr warranty, 12vlv's on a 40va transformer. Much better flow rate through them also.

    I would also tell you to use the Taco Bumble Bee ecm pump but it's not on the street yet. I just recevied my test pump yesterday. It's nice, stainless steel housing, ecm motor and I'm believing that pumping using Delta-T as a parameter is better then delta-p (Alpha or similar). 
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!