Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help with control

Options
I'm a nj homeowner trying to put together a heating system for a 5

units in an apartment building. I decided to provide central heat and

hot water through a a Triangle Tube Solo 175 Boiler, a Superstor 60

sidearm and 9 heating zones. The radiation is cast iron rads.

I need help in identifying a thermostat set up. I either set a single

daytime/nightime temp (68 or 70) or a have a set up where tenants can

control their heat from 67-71. A friend used a tekmar 369 room control

unit for this purpose. IN the first option i would use sensors to a

thermostat(s) in the boiler room. The control wires presently run to

the basement are three wire.

I have taco circulator pumps and two 6 zone taco relays.   I could change the relays in the case there's a better option. 

I need help identifying some products that would work for my application.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It's A Condesing Boiler

It's a condensing boiler with outdoor reset. No need for fancy thermostats. Just use plain jane programables wire to a circulator zone control which in turn is wired back to the boiler and let it fly. If the tenant does deep setback, they will only do it once. Why?  Because you will get a phone call that the heat isn't working properly. It may take hours for the rooms to get back up from a deep setback.

If a proper heat loss was done and heating curve they wouldn't have a need to touch it.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Osborn
    Osborn Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2011
    Options
    deep set back

What do you mean by deep set back? 

I have over radiated the apartments (used cast iron rads, hoping to keep water temps down) so raising the thermostat (if that's what you mean by deep set back) will take them past 68-70.   

What do you think about the sensor type set up?  I'd do one temp, say 70 from 6am to midnight and another, say 67, from 6pm to midnight.  Is there a thermostat that could handle multiple sensors?

Fancy thermostats... yea the tekmar 567 ($100) allows for range control.  But then you're into the wiring center too -- end up being $1600 plus to set the thermostats up. 
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    You using Outdoor Reset

They can change the thermostat to 90 or 50 and are only going to get the btu output of the rads based on the curve that is set in the boiler. That curve could change all day and all night long. Why overcomplicate. Just use basic programables and set them up. I would not set back more then 3 degrees. If you want to keep them out of them then buy therms that you can lock them out of.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.