Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensing oil hot water heater?

Options
Wonky
Wonky Member Posts: 10
I recently replaced my 20-year old hot water heater with an A.O. Smith Power Direct Vent condensing unit and I've been happy with it.  It seems to have inspired my parents into looking into replacing their hot water heater.  They have a 20+-year-old oil-fired unit (the furnace in the house also uses oil).

I am wondering if they should get the same unit as I have (the gas meter is also nearby, and would be easy to use), or if there is a similarly efficient oil-fueled option. 

Another issue is that they live on Long Island.  Apparently the amount of rust in the water over the past few years has gotten extremely high.  I don't think the rust itself would accelerate the wear on the hot water heater, but I'm not sure about that.  I also don't know if rusty water would affect anyone's advice on which unit to buy.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    none for oil as far as I am aware

condensing oil is in a few boilers that then run indirects water heaters for domestic. Still very efficient at making hot water.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Response

I have found that often in homes of an elderly couple or single person that an electric water heater is more economical than oil fired natural draft flue or even the newer high efficiency direct vent units. And has a significantly cheaper life cost as there is a smaller build cost and little or no maintenance and no fumes or leaks from fuel to worry about. Consider that tanks do not last as long as they used to, replacement costs an be a huge factor. Also technology being what it is limits who can service the equipment.
This discussion has been closed.