Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace Oil Burner,Energy Efficient but on a Budget!

Options
brooks77
brooks77 Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I have 2 kids in college!! and must replace my oil burner. I'd like to know what oil burner's are cost AND energy efficient. I've been trying to do some research on the internet. I'd like to stay with a product produced in the US or Canada.

My home is 2500 sq. ft.colonial, has 4 Zone heating (baseboard) and our water source is from a well. The home was converted from electric to oil 12 years ago (I've been told by a friend who's a plumber that the furnace is a lower quality (that's why it hasn't held up).

I've been looking at Peerless products and the Pinnacle Model , with an AFUE of 93% sounds great (but I don't know the price ). The next model down the MI series has AFUE of 82%.

1. From a cost (oil use) standpoint is that AFUE difference significant?

2. Would it be worthwhile to go with the high end, very efficient model?

3. Are there other brands/models I should look at?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited March 2011
    Options
    systems

93% I believe puts you into a gas boiler. The first thing you need to do is get a heat loss done on your home. After that you can look at the different options available to you. Do you have an indirect or a coil with your present system for domestic HW? 

As Far as AFUE, it is important but only if the system is sized properly. If you have a system that is twice the size it needs to be it wont save you anything.

As far as high end models...pay now or pay later but either way you pay. Its better to get the best and pay a little extra now compared to paying a little less now and doing it again or having troubles with it every year..

American models off the top of my head, Weil Mclain, Burnham, Energy Kinetics, HB Smith, Peerless...

I would also recommend getting with a reputable dealer in your area. One who can walk you through all options, do the heat loss and make recommendations as far as upgrading all needed equipment..

As far as cost, that's not something discussed here and honestly, without seeing the system there would be no way to estimate a cost. Check in your area, get estimates and ask for references. The cheapest is not alway's the best IMHO so look at all options closely....
This discussion has been closed.