Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron rad

i have a customer with a 1 zone cast iron( hot water)system...she has a wall hung rad( with bottom tappings) she wants to install in a tight corner of  reno bath..only catch is vertical...(like a  towel warmer) now tappings will be 1 on top 1on bottom on same side....can i make this work?supply in on top or bottom?or do i have to cut out plug so tappings are on opposite sides? (will these plugs  be left hand threads?which will be hard to find).

thanks in advance

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    cast iron rad refit

Don't see why it wouldn't work for you. I would supply the top and return the bottom. Can you get in a vent at the top of the rad? check your hangers to make sure they will work in that position or you may be out of luck..
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    cast iron rad refit

Don't see why it wouldn't work for you. I would supply the top and return the bottom. Can you get in a vent at the top of the rad? check your hangers to make sure they will work in that position or you may be out of luck..
  • Larrytheplumber
    Larrytheplumber Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    AL

hangers are not with rad...i`m thinking of going with four 3/8" x 7" lag screws with 1/2"chrome cover tube and 1" space behind rad..and current manual air vent will be at top..other ideas and input are welcome...

thanks
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Rad install:

This is the kind of PITA job that makes my head hurt and the back of my neck sweat.

My experience with these kinds of jobs is that by the time you charge for your time rounding up all the stuff you need to hang it and make it work, she/you could have bought something new like a hydronic towel warmer radiator. With all the hangers. And it may not work [properly. Because the radiator is fed at the same end, and you enter the supply at the top, the opposite side corner could be cool if the flow is too high. Added radiators can bite you in the butt.

When I do a job, I do it with the thought that I could come back in 10 years and say that I did it. I don't like to do a job where the next pro comes and asks "Who the heck did that?" The customer will never take credit for demanding that the installer install a used radiator that came from a salvage yard with most of the parts missing
This discussion has been closed.