Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polyethylene Piping for a boiler

Options
Geoman
Geoman Member Posts: 3
I am hoping someone can help me out with this.  I remember seeing a picture of a mechanical room where they used polyethylene piping for a hydronic system.  It was a high temperature version of the type of pipe we use for closed loops for geo systems.  Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such piping or have any experience with this?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks,  John

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Are you thinking....

about Pex-AL-Pex.... aka Fosta Pex by Viega?
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Aquatherm

Is this the product you were thinking about?  www.aquathermpipe.com
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Aquatherm

We have done a number of boiler upgrades using Aquatherm green piping. If assembled properly, it will never leak as the fitting becomes part of the pipe. It is fused to it. It also requires much less insulation to be used as the pipe is thick and does not transfer heat much. Start up costs are up there as you have to buy the fusing tools which are a bit pricy. We installed from 1 inch to 3 inch diameter piping.

Henry
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    Options
    as above

We have used it on a few larger jobs where it seems to be the most cost effective. On a smaller residential system the economics may not work out as the MPT adapters are quite pricey, for example a 1" MIP adapter is roughly 8 times the cost of a copper one, so if your doing a small system with short piping lengths it may not make sense $ wise. However, assembly is extremely fast and we have had zero leaks on some rather large geo/radiant systems. And it looks REALLY cool ;)
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Near Boiler Piping

HW Boilers should be piped in copper or black iron for the first 4-5 ft. Then transition to barrier Pex or Pex-Al-Pex is OK.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    What about Oxygen diffusion...

It's an issue with other plastic non barrier tubing. I suspect it would be an issue with this piping methodology as well...

In a snowmelt system that is properly maintained, I can see the advantage, but on residential systems..... I'd have second thoughts.

What are you current users doing for the oxygen ingress?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.