Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Section Issue

Options
Rob Krawic
Rob Krawic Member Posts: 8
I posted a question on Friday March 18 and received many great responses. However I did not get an answer to my question. So here goes one more try. My problem is one I have heard of before. The Burnham company has supplied replacement sections to my customer for (2) B911 boilers located at a school in Connecticut. The factory representative has come out twice and checked the installation. There is no apparent reason why the sections have cracked. The installation is apparently done properly and the rep has said he does not see any installation reason why the sections have cracked. One response to Fridays thread was from ME who said he had a past job similar in nature to what I had and he ultimately suggested a modular set of boilers and felt the intense combustion heat during a no or little load situation was possibly causing the stress cracks. The cracks that we are experiencing sound very similar to what he was describing. The cracks are, so far, mid section cracks not rear or fronts. These boilers are not that old.

My question still is : Has anyone been able to get financial help from Burnham for the labor involved in changing out these sections? Our customer is really upset with yet another expensive bill to change out what he feels are sections that never should have failed. The original design was done by a reputable engineering firm and the installation seems to be correct.

Thanks to all who did respond to my original thread on Friday

RGK

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    warranty

If you read the warranty info that come's with a commercial boiler it indicates that they do not cover labor... With that said, it couldnt hurt to approach them but i dont think you'll have much luck with it..
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Same problem

I had a 6 section leak between 3 of the section the boiler was 9 yrs old, i asked they said no .... installed a Buderus

David

aka DrPepper

edited for spelling LOL
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: sections cracking etc

Been here, done that several times. are they cracking on left side of boiler appx 2 ft off ground by a cast round appx 3" diameter protrusion??? or is it leaking between sections.  Send picture. No labor is easily provided. How old is the boiler?  If on hot water, do you have there return temp protection control piped in? This is what they said they wanted. From what I get, the low volume of the new boiler along with the quick heat up, allows that part of boiler to get hotter than others along with slow return water coming back so still cool return. Boiler gets up to temp before return water has heated and slugs this section of boiler and they crack in this location. Suprisingly, the new sections have that protrusion ground off unless in a jurisdiction that requires crown inspection ports, then the protrusion will be drilled out with a plug. Thats what I found in my winding through this is issue. Was not fun...... 
This discussion has been closed.