Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MUNCHKIN QUESTIONS

Options
I AM INSTALLING AN 80M MUNCHKIN IN A IN THE FLOOR JOIST RADIANT SYSTEM ZONING WITH PUMPS. I HAVE 4 GRUNDFOS 15-58 3 SPD PUMPS ONE MAIN PUMP ,ONE FOR THE INDIRECT AND TWO FOR THE TWO HEAT ZONES. MY QUESTION IS THE MUNCHKIN MANUAL STATES THAT DURING STARTUP THE BOILER TURNS ON MAIN CIRC PUMP AND MONITORS RETURN TEMPS OF WATER, IT THEN FIRES IF THE TEMP IS LOW ENOUGH, SO IF ITS NOT LOW ENOUGH I ASSUME THE BOILER CONTROL SHUTS OFF THE MAIN CIRC PUMP, BUT WHAT SHUTS OFF THE PUMP THAT THE THERMOSTAT RELAY TURNED ON FOR THAT ZONE. I JUST DON'T SEE HOW TO TIE THE BOILER CONTROL BACK TO THE RELAY BOX FOR THE ZONE PUMPS, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM GETTING AT HERE BECAUSE ITS GIVING ME A HEADACHE THINKING ABOUT IT  THANKS MARK

Comments

• RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Relays or Pump Controller

What are you going to use to control zone pumps? Did you read the installation manual, it explains several ways to do the controls.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Where'd you buy the boiler???

Please, find your CAPS lock key and turn it off. ALL CAPS is considered YELLING, and there is no need to yell here , yet...

As the computer geeks in my life tell me, RTFM... (Translation, Read The Fricking Manual, except they insert another word for fricking...) As Robbie pointed out, the Munchkin Manual (which you can find on line) clearly spells out how to do what you're asking here.

If you're not comfortable working with high/line voltage, maybe you should consider hiring that work out to a licensed contractor who will take the time necessary to read the manual...

See page 51 of the attached manual.

I'm going to venture a wild guess and say that you got an un-believeable deal on line for your boiler, PEX and pumps... Have you asked the supplier this question?

If all else fails, RAFTFI&OM (Translation; Read and follow the freaking installation and operations manual) The manufacturer goes to significant lengths to keep people like your self from blowing themselves (or someone else) up, or electrocuting themselves, or carbon monoxiding them (or someone else) to death...

ME

• radiantpexmark
    radiantpexmark Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Munchkin

Wow sorry did not realize people were so case sensitive. Thanks for your response though, your manual is for the rev 2 munchkin, mine is the rev 1. The wiring appears quite different. I have an hvac guy installing this but he was even unsure of how the boiler controls secondary pumps in the rev 1. Thanks again  Mark 
  • RobbieDo
    Options
    Wiring

The wiring on the controls of the boiler and pumps isn't that hard. You have the schematics and your HVAC guy can't figure it out? I will look up the older boilers but I have installed many of these with no issues IF done properly.

• RobbieDo
    Options
    Rev 1 Manual

The manual is online, just looked at it. You need to wire as it says in Fig. 2-3 on page #9. You can not pull more than 4amps off of the Munchkin so you must isolate via relays, boiler controller. Your HVAC guy should be able to understand this, I don't use pump or zone controllers, I either make my own or use a PLC to do it. Mark, you said high/line voltage, I'm assuming you mean the single phase 120vac? I work with a lot higher voltages than that ( 480vac, 2000 amps) but you must understand what your doing, Mark is saying so you don't hurt or worse kill yourself. Remember, voltage does not kill, AMPERAGE does. A car battery is just 12vdc but has approx 600cca which is 3 times the amperage in a standard house, BE SAFE please.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Thanks Mark...

Were just a bunch of grumpy old wet heads, and that yelling causes our ears (in our heads) to ring, and our jaws to clench and causes eye fatigue. Thanks for finding your key.

You're going to have to invest in a zoning relay kit. Google Taco SR506 . You could do it in relay logic if you understood relay logic, but most mechanics (other than elevator repair men) don't :-) Boxes like Taco's and others allows for a much cleaner wiring installation, and also give the benefit of LED lights for seeing what's on in a glance.

Sorry for accusing you of being an internet shopaholic. We seem to attract a lot of that traffic here...

Most HVAC contractors who are first getting started exclude the electrical from their contract, for good reason...

ME

• radiantpexmark
    radiantpexmark Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Will get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mark and Rob

I will figure it out thanks for your imput. I am not as scared of electricity as I should be. This house I am trying to heat I wired the whole thing and it passed inspection. I did arc one bare ground on a buss bar that was interesting. Back to the heating I was looking at the wiring schematics for the Taco SR503-EXP control and it looks fairly basic. At first I was going to still hook the orange and brown wires from the munchkin to the P1 and then run P2 (indirect hot water) and two zone pumps from a Taco control box or similar.But I think I will run it all through a relay control. I can see why they changed the REV 2 to make it much more user friendly.. Thanks again guys take care Mark 
  • Sol Hydronics
    Sol Hydronics Member Posts: 41
    Options
    get a pro

to help you. I can see from the posting here that you are heading for trouble.
This discussion has been closed.