Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Job Pricing

James Day_2
James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
I know that we do not discuss pricing on here,  I was hoping some people could email me privately with how they price there installs: radiant, baseboard, cooling jobs.   I hope this doesn't violate any rules,   Thanks James  

dayhvac@hotmail.com

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Roll your own estimating spread sheet...

Most everyone has access to a spread sheet program. You have a better handle on your labor and material costs then anyone does. Put this information into a spread sheet and use it to calculate your installed costs. Don't forget to include overhead and profit margin.

There are a lot of estimating programs out there, but they are fairly ex$pen$ive.

As a member of PHCC, you can access their pricing guide, which is based on concensus input, and appears to be fairly accurate.

No problem discussing HOW to price yourself. Just not legal to discuss pricing (price fixing) and you never know when big brother might be watching :-)

HTH

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• James Day_2
    thanks mark

I just started my own company about a year ago.   I thought my prices were fair.  I have talked to other local heating contractors.  Some use the double the material method, some multiply material by 1.5.   Just wondering if anyone uses those methods anymore.
  • James Day_2
    software

What is some good software that you would recommend for quoting jobs?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Best advice for anyone just starting up a business...

If you haven't already done so, purchase Ellen Rohr's book "How Much Should I Charge?"

http://www.heatinghelp.com/categories/Books/5/3

You MUST know your direct and indirect cost before you can establish your sell price. Rule of thumb pricing practices like doubling material costs or multiplying times 1.5 are not accurate, and cause many tradesmen to lose money.

The pricing method of doing what you think the "market will bare" is an even better way to lose money...

You will be worked to death and broke in no time.

Software makes your job easier, but it can't tell you how much you HAVE to charge, in order to stay in business.

She also has other books available on this site, one titled Where DID the money go? that will help you set up your books so you can see where you are as it pertains to profitability at any time.

HTH

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.