Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating an addition over a crawl space

I have a 1926 story and a half brick home. forced air natural gas furnace with a full basement. Recently built an addition of 8'x33' or roughly 270 sq ft. over a dirt floor crawl space. I am looking for the best possible way to heat this space as the floors are cold! I am leaning toward radiant staple up but not sure if this would be the best route since none of my existing house is heated this way. any thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    edited March 2011
    Insulation!!!

I assume this is kind of an 8 ft bump out of a long wall?

If you were to ask me to build this,  I would attach the crawl space to the basement, have a moisture barrier on the crawl space floor at least, and well insulated all the way around, well insulated.

with the crawl space tied to the basement and being insulated,  it would be easy to add a heat duct and no cold floors would exist.

since you have no boiler, a radiant heated floor is fine if you have the money to spend/burn.

so, how did your builder build this?
  • twinsrusracing
    twinsrusracing Member Posts: 2
    help

yes-this addition has spray foamed side walls(3) and a vapor barrier covering the dirt floor. two seperate heat runs go into the addition but are for the rooms above. no heat run heats the crawl space. the addition is actually closed off from the existing basement.
This discussion has been closed.