Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need A/C Help Haveing a heck of a time.

JoeG
JoeG Member Posts: 88
Hi, Ok I know this is Prob not the best board for this but I have a Sliding Casement windows ( SIde to Side slide )with a Opening of Just under 14.5 Inchs. I need A/C Units to fit these windows.  I can't seem to find any that will fit. I am in the process of getting quotes from Central air and split unit guys but just in case I cant swing the cost does anyone know where I can find standard a/c units for this style window. Thanks a lot

Comments

• EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Not sure....

Not sure about window shakers! Ask your contractors about mini-splits or the portable units that can be discharged via a duct to the outside. Another possibility would be PTAC units (through the wall)
  • JoeG
    I did

I am getting price of Mini Splits, Just not sure if Ill be able to swing it.
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Casement units

Are a pain, and they cost more. You might think I'm nuts, but you might actually consider getting new windows, with a standard opening. You'll get high efficiency windows that you can put a window shaker in, without having to spend crazy money for ductless split systems (which are just window shakers mounted on the wall that cost more, leak, and are expensive to fix)
  • JoeG
    You are

Your the first person I have heard say anything bad about the Split Systems., My windows are a odd size so even with a Double Hung inmay be a problem for a A/C.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Mini splits are not window shakers

Thats where the word split comes from. Splitting the compressor from the evaporator.

I have installed dozens of mini splits and had nothing but happy customers.

If price is a concern, get some estimates on lower line minis, Chigo, ect. They are not inverters but they still work very well.
  • JoeG
    Inverters?

What do you mean by Inverters? and What are some good brands out there.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Inverters

Are the newest thing in mini splits. Basicaly they are variable speed compressors that are controlled by a host of sensors. They size themselves to the load, they dehumidify, they seem to do everything well. I turned my unit on this winter when it was 5 degrees outside(heat pump unit) I was really surprised how warm the outlet temperature was.

For the extra money it is well worth going with a inverter and Heat pump, you never know when youll need a backup heat source. That being said, many companys still make and offer the standard non variable units that we used for years before this technology was available. Do a google search on ductless ac or mini splits and sit back with a cup of coffee and read till your eyes fall out. Some manufacturers are making units that blend better with a home decor, like Samsung and LG and others are still locked in to that white commercial look. Some of the units I installed have silver coated evaporaters to inhibit bacteria growth and features that slowly raise the temperature after you fall asleep, also electronic air filters and plasma injectors for clean air.  You will never be sorry you chose a mini split over a window unit. Windows are for looking outside!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    AC in Cellar:

I don't install AC. I just do heat. I'm often confronted by your problem from customers. Where I work, it isn't as hot as it is further South. But it is just as humid. People put in Dehumidifiers. It makes the room hot because it is like putting a refrigerator in the room and it doesn't cool. So they open the windows, letting cooler air in and more moisture. Window units can not be sealed enough to keep insects out at night. If you leave a light on and run the unit, they will come in the night and bite you. And you can't open the window and let fresh air in. I always recommend Mini-Splits because you don't loose a window and you can open it without compromising the screen.

Buy a mini-split in spite of the cost. It's cheaper by far. Window units are throw away units. I've installed a few mini-splits a number of years ago and they are all still running. Window units I have seen installed are on their third replacement.

If money is that much of an issue, I would do nothing rather than waste my cash on any kind of window unit. It's a waste of money.

My daughter has a house with all vertically hinged windows. There is no way to use window units. And whole house ducted AC isn't a good choice. I recommended mini-splits to her. It is the only way to do an open floor two story house.

Don't do a half a$$ job. Do it once and do it right. 
This discussion has been closed.