Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP

Options
kevdog
kevdog Member Posts: 5
The air vent on my steam rad. broke off while I was moving it to do some painting--it broke flush w/ the outside of the rad. can I tap this out to replace the vent? If I can what tap size and tpi do i need? the o.d. on the male angle air vent loks to be 1/4 inch. what should I replce it with ? I only want the best-- the rest of the house is auto vent--can I use an ajustible vent on just one rad. ?  Can it really be 1/4 inch air vent?

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Try using an "easy-out" first

If the vent was put in there recently, It might just turn out.  An easy-out has reverse threads, you just tapp it in there a little and turn it to the left.  Ask for one at the hardware store or automotive store.  If you have a neighbor that works on cars he would have a whole set.

Watch out you don't end up with a problem like Maestro  http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/135440/Several-questions-on-my-steam-system
  • SteamRoller
    SteamRoller Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Easy-out use

Ouch!

Easy-outs can work, but you need to be careful.  Read up on how to use them out on the net.

You should start a few days (!) before you try to use the Easy-out with a mission of spraying penetrating lubricant (Kroil and PB Blaster are great, Liquid Wrench may be the one you can find) onto the threads.  It's a good idea to plug up the hole... whittle a wooden peg to fit it or something like that, and seal up the hole to keep penetrant out.  Spray penetrant on the edge of the threads, trying to get it into any gap that might be there.

Get an easy-out that fits snug into the hole, tap it in with a hammer, and twist, don't jerk.  They're made from very hard (and so very brittle) steel and if it snaps off inside the hole, you've just doubled your trouble, because they're harder than most drill bits.

An alternative (which I learned fixing motorcycles with old jammed-up metal bits and bobs), if you're good with a drill, is to carefully drill out the stuck part to juuuust inside the threads of the tapped hole, and then remove the little bits of metal still remaining from the stuck part.  Plan to clean out the metal with some scrapey things, then possibly clean the threads with a tap.  You can size the drill bit in the same size hole on another radiator.  Just be careful to avoid too much thread damage on the hole, drill centered, straight and true.
This discussion has been closed.