Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need a special control for two circulators?

Chuck_36
Chuck_36 Member Posts: 42
I want to pipe my single zone house system with a thermic valve and primary/ secondary off of the existing system by-pass. SHOULD I USE A CONTROLLER TO TURN THE CIRCULATORS SEPARATELY ON/OFF OR JUST WIRE THE CIRCULATORS IN TANDEM?

I want boiler protection and better comfort and control over flow through the large mains and cast iron radiators. The furthest room, the northeast corner living room, is the most challenging to get comfortable., especially at night.

My SP gas boiler, (3rd season), is overworked by the water volume and can't get above 115F on the coldest hights before the thermostat is satisfied. Uses more gas than it should, I suspect. (Burnhan 204)

This is the 3rd iteration. First Coal, then oil, now natural gas. Yes, the gas boiler should have been larger.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,921
    Living Room

What type of radiation is located in the living room ? Is the living room an separate edition from the main home ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Bypass

Burnham requests the use of a boiler bypass not a system bypass. If you are converting to p/s no need for a bypass just valve off the supply and close the valve enough to get the Delta-T required. 
  • Chuck_36
    Bypass

Either type makes no difference in my case. There is just too much water to have the boiler satisfy. The boiler is too small.  I cannot afford to replace it. I want to use an alternative. A thermic valve (140F) was recommended and used with a Primary / secondary piping arrangement. Should the second circulator turn on and off together with the first one or should a control be used to have each work independently? If so what control is advised?
  • Chuck_36
    Living Room

It is on the same distribution as the rest. On the end of the line. Two pipe direct. All cast Iron mains and radiators. There are two radiators in this room. At low temp (120F), I can satisfy the thermostat but the comfort level is unsatisfactory. Especially when the coldness of the evening sets in.

The room has windows and the front door on an exterior north wall and windows on an exterior east wall with no houses to block the wind; I'm on a corner.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Heat Loss

Did you do a heat loss on the building? How big is the building? How big is the boiler/rating? I haven't seem many "normal" sized houses that wouldn't heat with a "normal" boiler. I think you have some other issue. If you have some problem with the basics of the heating boiler, doing what you suggest will probably not solve your problem.

Have you combustion tested the system? Have you tested the gas meter to see if you are getting the required amount of gas?

If the zone won't get over 115 degrees, indoor/outdoor won't solve your problem. 
This discussion has been closed.