Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

slantfin speed skimmer

Options
STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
Does anyone have experience with the speed skimmer built into the slant fin galaxy steam boiler?  According to the slant fin literature it is supposed to greatly increase the speed of skimming. Thanks

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yeah..

and its a superb invention..slantfins skim out faster and better than any other boiler...period...to the guy who invented it i say, 'give that man a cigar!'.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    edited March 2011
    Options
    GREAT

Would you follow their instructions to raise the pressure to 7 psi before skimming or is that unnecessary? I suppose I would need a shutoff on the supply and return or I would have to run boiler foe a VERY long time to build up that level of pressure
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yup,

i skim normally...but steve swears by the pressure procedure...yes valves are then necessary.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• I completely agree with Gerry.....

The skimmer on Slantfin's are great and the boiler is backed by the best company I have done business with.  They also make extremely dry steam, especially with the little supply tapping. I skim with no pressure.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Options
    gxha-120

Thanks guys. I have 261.83 edr. I have uninsulated mains so going with a pickup factor of 1.5 I come out with a gross of 94.2mbh. The gxha-120 is rated for 97mbh.
This discussion has been closed.