Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain or HT SuperStor indirect water heater

Options
agn
agn Member Posts: 6
Hi,

We have to replace our 40 gallon indirect hot water heater. Our choices have come down to the Weil-Mclain or the HT SuperStor indirect water heaters.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the quality of the two and the how well the companies stand behind their warranties?

Also the Weil Mclain has a tank-in-tank design while the SuperStor is a coil-in-tank. Does one design work better than the other? Can they both be flushed? The Weil-Mclain documents make it look like there isn't a drain valve.

Thanks.

Ajit

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    W-M vs. Su[erstor.

I have a W-M, and never had a Superstor, so I cannot comment on the relative merits of either. My guess is that if properly sized and installed, either could work well. I imagine it is like boilers: there is more difference due to the quality of the installation than there is between one boiler and another of the same general type.

You are right that there is not exactly a drain valve on the W-M. There can be one on the top of a W-M, if a boiler drain valve is put there. You run a hose from there, always down, to a suitable drain. And then syphon it out. I have not tried that. But the installer has to install a suitable dip tube (with no back-syphon preventor hole in it) to the bottom of the tank. I do not know how close to the bottom the dip tube that W-M can suppply for this goes. I Have one, but have never tried it (no drain in garage, where it is).
  • agn
    Options
    Weil Mclain or HT SuperStor indirect water heater

Thanks JDB.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    HTP

The HTP is the ideal indirect heater. We have started to install them over other units with better results. The S/S construction and warranty are a plus.

Henry
  • agn
    Options
    Picked the HT Superstor

Thanks - we decided to go with the HT Superstor. It was installed this morning.
This discussion has been closed.