Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CPVC on heating system

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
This is the second time I've seen it. I've been called in to straighten up a radiant floor project that doesnt work.. (I'm going to write a book. "When Good Radiant Floors Go Bad.")  Both times there was boiler piping done in cpvc tubing. Can this be done? Is there an oxygen barrier? I'm thinking the reasoning is because the water isn't as hot the installer thinks it won't melt. It's a little less cost to. In both cases it's a big deal because the piping is run through the walls and up to other floors. One job is Geo thermal. The other is a mod con boiler. Help please. I just don't know.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Non oxygen barrier tube...

PVC, and CPVC tube are not made in oxygen barrier configurations. If there are any ferrous components in the system, they will die an early death from oxygen impingement.

Rust never sleeps....

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• burky1957
    burky1957 Member Posts: 10
    CPVC Boiler Piping

I had a wholesaler sell directly to a homeowner. The homeowner called and said his boiler quit. What am I going to do about it. I told him his warranty is void and call a contractor to repipe and sell him the parts to repair it. He also made his own concentric vent!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    CPVC On Heat:

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!

Sitting stunned and speechless,
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Seeing it spec'd on GEO

I am seeing it spec'd a lot by the train drivers on GEO systems.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Allegedly acceptable on the source side...

That side rarely gets close to even being warm.

Now the load side... Thats a completely different animal, and unless every thing in that circuit is non ferrous, I would not recommend it.

Even on the source side, I've opened cast iron pumps that failed after a couple of years operation and there was a BUNCH of crud in the volute housing.

As I said, rust never sleeps....

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    you win

Burky you win the prize..WOW...
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    CPVC

Too bad you missed the ugly boiler contest!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.