Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Vent

Options
Arn
Arn Member Posts: 1
I installed a new oil heat system last year with a direct vent.  Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a strong oil smell in my home. Also, on two occasions when we have experienced high winds (40-50 mph), the system has "shut down".  I have been able to reset it and it starts right up.

Question: Can high winds affect the direct vent enough to shut the system down?  Do I need to put some sort cover around the direct vent to reduce wind turbulence?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    most direct vent units

have puff switches, and that can put them out. I would also time your post-purge. Should be 3-5 min at the end of the cycle. Where is the termination? N,S,E or West? 
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Questions

Did you install this system yourself or did you have a contractor install it? What type of equipment is it? (Boiler, Furnace, Oil Burner Brands) Does it have a fresh (outside) air? Is there just one pipe that connects to the unit and goes outside or are there two? As Bill asked, what side of the house does it vent? Is it set up with post purge and pre purge? Can you post some pictures? It sounds like you need a contractor to come out evaluate the system and preform a combustion test. If a contractor installed this, they should honor there warranty.
This discussion has been closed.