Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil delivery to wrong address- what to do?

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,693
Hello, I got 200 gallons of oil yesterday, and I didn't order it. It has a neighbors name and address, simple mistake. I am not wanting to shell out $$$ for this, I was planning on eeking it out till spring. What are the normal protocols on this? Thanks, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    That can happen

I would at least offer to pay for it at cost or a discounted rate. It can happen, and has happened. We instruct our drivers to check and double check streets and addresses, but sometimes it can happen. Fortunately your fill and vent was attached to a tank, otherwise there would be a lot more issues. I would do the right thing and contact the oil company. Whether you ordered it or not, you will still benefit from it
  • GW
    Options
    yes

This happened to me about 10 years ago, a different company dropped at my house. It was a friendly competitor and I walked in to their office. The manager took 10 cents off a gallon. Well, 10 cents off this load is a twenty dollar bill. I will be currious to see what they say. I kinda wish I got paid every time I made a mistake. Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You might

walk in there really irate and tell them you have no tank and your house smells like #2.

Count to twenty five.

Then wait for the look on his face and the color to return.

Then ask him to give it to you at cost plus a nickel.

I know you, Gary, you are not that devious, but go on- bring your Flip video camera and put it on YouTube!

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • billtwocase
    Options
    That would

have someone crapping their pants for sure. It is a scary thought as this happens too frequently where morons remove an oil tank, leave the fill and vent outside, don't pull the required, in Mass anyway, permit to remove the tank which requires a site visit from Fire Prevention. I hope you didn't take the previous post the wrong way Gary, just looking at it from an oil company's stand point. Years ago we could go and pump the oil out that was delivered in error if the person refused to pay for it, but no more. I'm sure they will work with you, or you could just send them a thank you card. Good luck to you.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    I meant #2

fuel oil, Bill!

:)

But yes, it is an awful thing when it happens.

Same for an oil spill.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    call them

Let them know they made a wrong delivery and ask them when they would like to come get it back...:) This is one of the main reason's we tag all fill pipes...Tag doesnt match the number on the ticket, not delivery....
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Have you ever seen

multi units where tags and fill caps with #'s get switched by tenants so free deliveries can be made? There is always a chance a wrong delivery can happen. Very few companies will invest in tags and markings due to floating customers that may use you today if you are cheaper. That is an automatic delivery thing to do as far as tags, but most want to monitor the level with the economy and pricing the way it is right now. and be a will call customer
  • GW
    Options
    if

if it wasn't excessive money ( 10 or 12 years ago I think it was 59 cents I ended up paying per gallon) I would pay it, but I don't want to fork over $700 plus, or whatever it came up to. That's why, if the wholesale is a mere 10 or 20 cents off, I still am buggin.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I guess it would be

the same if the gas company came and did a meter check and found I was only paying for 2/3 the gas I was using for the last 2 years. Or if the electric meter was found to be slow for for a few years. 
  • billtwocase
    Options
    I feel your pain Gary

we have done deliveries that total $900 and upwards. Seen some $1200.00 deliveries. It is scary, and has to come to an end. Enough gouging. Time to stop exporting oil, and make it affordable again.I feel for the elderly. How much more sacrificing do they need to do? Social security is an insult to them, and now they must choose between eating, medications, or staying warm. 
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Tell them come and pump it out

and dispose of itin Chicopee with the other waste oil. You can see if that gets their attention. The neighbor could end up running out now or already has. It's a mess but do not just pay what ever they feel like charging you. The filling tanks that have been removed happened two years ago in Pittsfield by a large fuel company that starts with O that is also in your area. They need to double check their addresses better. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • billtwocase
    Options
    sounds like you know the company Charlie

There are some careless companies out there that give oil heat a bad rap, and it makes the 6 O'Clock news every time. That is the bad side of that coin. The customer who was supposed to be filled will now run out if nothing is said or done. 
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Leagally...

Legally, it's still the oil company's oil.

An automatic delivery contract is in part an agreement where the homeowner agrees to purchase all the oil the oil company delivers.  Since you don't have a contract with them, it is still their oil.  Environmental law prevents you from dumping their oil out onto the street, so you have to give them reasonable access to remove it, and they have to compensate you for any reasonable expenses you incur.  So if you had no choice but to take time off work to to let them in to get the oil, they should compensate you for it. 

You should ask them to show you they are pumping it through the same type meter back onto their truck (as opposed to guessing, or using an uncalibrated meter).  Not all trucks have the plumbing to pump through the Neptune meter back into the truck.

On the other hand, it will cost them money to come and pump it out, and they are, at best, luke warm to the prospect of wearing their expensive meter with your tank sludge, so they certainly have some incentive to make you a deal on it.  You could explain your intent not to buy any more oil this season, and offer to buy it, if they'll agree to payment in October.

Although it's fun to contemplate torturing the idiots who screwed up, I think it's best to imaging yourself on the other side, and be willing to accept something that's fair. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Early Delivery

I'd tell them that you appreciate the early delivery and you will pay them in the Spring when you planned on purchasing it.  If they put up a fuss:

Tough guy - option A: Tell them that you won't charge them for storing their gas.

Nice guy - option B: Pay half now, the other half in the Spring.

Are Spring prices for oil cheaper than Winter prices?  If so, I'd pay Spring prices.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • GW
    Options
    ok

I will call them this AM, and the neighbor too. I wish to be fair, and I always like to look at these issues if it were me on the other side. My employees cost me money in mistakes here and there (anyone who owns a business understand this),so this isn't a foreign topic to me. I will let you know how it goes, Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    happy ending

I called the oil co and explained what happened. The lady on the could not have been more polite or professional. She said she could either set up a time to have the oil pumped out or give me a discount. I nicely said it depended on the amount of the discount. I explained I am in their system and the reason I don't call that often is because I am a heating contractor and I take out oil tanks and use oil at my home (subtle hint was my tank will have sludge ). She said she would call the owner and call me back.

She called back 10 minutes later and gave me the price, and said I can pay for it whenever I wanted. I was very pleased and asked if i could pay in thirds ( one third now, another in 30 days, another in 60) and she said yes with a smile. They even have my cc on file she reminded me. Then she apologied for the inconvenience. I was impressed.

Way to go oil industry!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    how much discount?

How much per gallon did they charge you?
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Kind of a side note in all of this.

As we all try and manage our employees, we can look at this and try to take something from it.

We often blame the drivers and technicians, but most often I have found that it is the service managers and dispatchers.

This year alone we have given away 3 tuneups due to bad addresses or directions.  If the equipment is what we told the technician it was, then they don't think anything about it.

Many years ago, I was an HVAC tech in the Atlanta area.  I was sent to remove a condenser unit to prepare for replacement that would be delivered to me.  The address on my work order was for 54 Maple Ln or whatever.  The equipment I was to remove was a 5 ton Trane unit.  I went to 54 Maple lane, found a 5 ton Trane and started removing it. 

As I was wrestling with my helper to get the old condenser to the front sidewalk, I saw the service manager down the street with the new condenser in the back of his pickup.  Turns out I was supposed to be at 45 Maple LN.  He started to jump my case until I showed him the work order and the equipment.

Check your procedures and ensure that your managers and dispatchers are giving your techs and drivers a fighting chance.  It is hard enough to make a buck these days without giving stuff away for free.

Stay thirsty my friends. 
  • GW
    Options
    pricing?

I thought pricing wasn't allowed, but i'm not sure this counts, they took about 60 cents off a gallon plus 60 days to pay for it, I thought that was fair.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re wrong delivery address etc

I would be inclined to say, pay 1/3 now at the rate discounted. Not pay the rest for several months as it seems like you may have planned on waiting. If prices are still at the highs they are today, then pay the balance. But if some resolution comes in the mideast and oil goes down, pay the lower rate that may be at that time. Or pay 2/3 over next 60 days, but make sure you will get the benefit of lower rates if they should occur.  Good luck, Tim 

Not trying to be unfair to oil company but they messed up and should bear some of the weight of this.  I remember one time one of my service guy's went to a job where door was left open, he went to the wrong house next door and door was open also, he did a thorough service, quite dirty, every thing was good when he left except the original client called and said we never came by. Well, the house that did get serviced got it for free. I found out how to reach them and apologized and told them they are all ready for next winter. No charge.
This discussion has been closed.