Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2types of radiators in the same house?

Options
JeanneB
JeanneB Member Posts: 12
I just bought and started to read Greening Steam which for a layman is very easy to read. Upon looking at our radiators more closely it seems like we have one large radiator in our main room that has two pipes but all of the other radiators in the house are one pipe steam radiators. Is that possible? It's a radiator that has 21 columns, could the size be a reason for this?

Comments

• sasman
    sasman Member Posts: 32
    Options
    rads

can't see it from here, but could be 2 rads butted together, not actually connected to each other?????????????
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Possible? Yes

I read about hybrids here quite often.  Some of them get real complicated.  Likely, as you pointed out, the second pipe on that big rad was installed to help it work better.  Is it working OK? 
  • JeanneB
    Options
    further investigation

upon further investigation and referencing "Greening Steam" it's a two-pipe, air-vent radiator, all one piece with 21 sections across. all of the other radiators in the house are one pipe radiators, is that normal to have this one random, two-pipe radiator? it doesn't heat up very well at all, our system has alot of issues as I'm finding out from reading this book.
  • crash2009
    Options
    Lets see a picture of it then

Maybe there is something obvious that will jump out at us.  If possible get a shot of what it looks like under the floor, in the basement, need to see the pipes coming out of it downstairs. 
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    2 Types of Rads

Hi, I have one of those "hybrid systems". I have 4, 2 pipe radiators with NO traps. I have 5, 1 pipe radiators. I believe my 2 pipe rads are Crane rads, I have a mix of 1 pipe rad manufactures. My system heats very well here in Maine.
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • crash2009
    Options
    Nice rads!

What do you think Jeanne needs to do to get hers running good?
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Pictures would help

I found mine in Dan's book EDR, right in the first 10 pages or so. I guess there could be many, many possible 1 and 2 pipe configurations out there. All my 2 pipes have air vents also on them. JeanneB do you have a little vent device on one end up by the top of the rad?
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    The first two pipe systems did not use traps

as they were not invented yet. They do use vents when set up like yours. It is  good system for a vaporstat as the low pressure helps keep the steam from short circuiting back through the returns. Ideally the returns should drop to a wet return individually. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • beck
    beck Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the same situation!?

Hi,

I was browsing the web trying to find out some info on this and bumped into this site. A lot of great info here.

In any case, I have a similar situation. Our house is run on a one pipe steam system, except for what I'm guessing is the last radiator in the house. It's a beast of a radiator-- the largest in the house-- and it's used to heat up what used to be an enclosed porch-- now it serves us as a small den. It's horribly inefficient, it only seems to work when the heat has been on for quite some time. We are actually considering shortening the length of this radiator and installing a wood burning stove as a supplementary heat source. My question is, if we do decide to shorten it, do we still need to keep it as a two pipe system? And Why is it configured as a two pipe system?
  • crash2009
    Options
    Welcome to heatinghelp

Shortening the rad may not be a good idea.  It was likely manufactured 100 years ago and you never know if you will get it back together again.  Normally, if a rad is too big for a room, you put in a smaller rad, or you adjust the one you have, to make it heat less.  These adjustments would likely be less than the cost of the wood stove. 

The best way here at heatinghelp, to get a thourough answer to your questions, is to start a new thread explaining what you have, and where you want to end up.  Include a few pictures.
  • beck
    beck Member Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for your reply

thanks crash-- once I get my camera returned from the shop, I will certainly post pics on a separate thread...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    steam issues

don't worry about those steam problems, as we will help you fix them one by one, starting with main venting!--nbc
  • JeanneB
    Options
    Yes

I have a vent on the same side as the return side, it's a Vent Rite which we have on all of our rads. This rad happens to be behind our sectional couch so I haven't been able to get at it to take a pic. I looked down in the basement thought and it does have a return pipe unlike all of the other rads.
This discussion has been closed.