Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smooth but noiser 1st 15 seconds

Dave M
Dave M Member Posts: 36
General question about newer small mass boilers and more noise as they first fire up each time. Peerless Pro series, 3 section, with a Beckett AFG and a small .5 gallon nozzle. Lights off smoothly after pre-purge but the sound is different, more roar, every time for 15 seconds then it is quieter for the duration of the burn. It is predicatable and the same each time which makes me think it has to do with the interrupted ignition. Is it common for the firing to have a more hollow roar during the time the ignitors are active and then quiter when they are turned off after flame is established? You can hear the thing start all over the house, then it switches to a quieter mode. Not pulsations, it's smooth but has a whine or roar. Just wondering if it is normal and if it isn't if it could be improved upon.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Start up noise:

I've noticed it for years.

I've never been able to make it go away.

It never seemed to bother anything.

It only happens during trial fire/ignition and stops when ignition drops out.

It doesn't do it on constant ignition.

No one I've asked has an answer or a solution.

If there's a solution, I'd like to know it.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    solution

install an old school transformer. Electronic ignitors make them roar until the control drops them out. Why I don't know. With all the problems with them, I have gone back to them regardless of what some may say or think. Too many failed ignitors give oil equipment a bad rap.
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Carlin EZ

I have a WM WTGO3 with the Carlin EZ burner. Does the same thing. When the teck first set it up, I noticed it. The next year at tuneup time, he said it was the ignition dropping out. Always starts smooth after pre-purge and runs smoothly, during the first 15 second "roar" and then until it shuts of.
This discussion has been closed.