Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Vacuum systems

I have a question regarding vacuum levels for a given system.

Is there a formula or some kind of standard for a given vacuum?

Example : I have a job site with 2 large cleaver Brooks boilers whose associated vacuum system is running at 29" ( inches)

Is this normal? To much?

How do I know?

What level ought it be?

Is this current level likely to cause a problem?

Comments

• vacuum questions

while you are waiting for a response from the sages of steam here, you could do a search here for "vacuum", and it will probably give you some links in the library, and other threads.

is this 1-pipe, or 2-pipe heating?

vacuum systems are a favorite topic, so you will probably get quite a bit of interest!--nbc
  • Brad WhiteBrad White Member Posts: 2,392
    edited February 2011
    29 inches is practically

a perfect vacuum, too high for any but deep variable vacuum systems. That system should heat up very, very quickly. Variable vacuum systems such as VariVac operate between 6 and 25 inches normally, the higher vacuum during warmer weather produces cooler steam, in the range of 140 degrees. Cool.

A typical constant vacuum system such as I have seen will operate at between 6 and 10 inches Hg.

However, if you can maintain 29 inches, dang, that is a tight system, good test.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!