Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam drip return pix

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Pictures

Could you take the pictures from farther back so we could trace out the piping?  If the resolution is reasonably high we can then zoom in if we need to look more closely. We really need to see how all the piping connects together. Take a couple of pictures from different angles would also help.
  • Epeter
    Epeter Member Posts: 25
    pix

cannot get a better photo.

the photo on the right shows the header with the new drip....2x 1 1/4 ell

staight down to the floor it connects in the photo on the left thru the two tees to the wet return.

the tee with the valve reduces to 1" as the the tee at the bottom of the equilizer was 1" on that side. There was a tee at the bottom of the equalizer for the drain valve.
  • Epeter
    Rod ...better pictures

Here are 5 photos that show the near boiler piping.

Thanks for you effort...
  • Epeter
    5 pictures

thanks...
  • Rod
    No Header

Hi - You don't have a proper header so there is a lot of water being carried up into the mains. (see attached picture) The whole idea of the header is to help dry out the steam. In the second attached picture- What direction does this pipe slope?

- Rod
  • Epeter

The header pitches back to the boiler.

I know I have a "bull head tee there" and realize the correct piping.

Believe it or not...Slant Fin original diagrams show what I have with regard to the tee at the equalizer although they have changed it on there newer instructions.
  • Epeter

Direction B in your diagram.

The boiler taping is 2.5 inch...the header and the mains are 2".

If I redo the riser to the header where would you make the switch.

I have reverse flow for the header and first few feet of the two mains...then parallel flow from there.

House from 1926 originally coal fired.....
  • Rod
    Drip Line

If the horizontal pipe near the mains pitches back towards the boiler then it would seem to me that the "drip line" on the end isn't doing you much good.  
  • Epeter
    Rod I am back with a question

So lets do it right.

1- pitch the header away from the boiler

2-.get rid of the bullhead tee at equalizer.

3-tee up to header..ell down to equalizer.

4- WHAT IS THE PROPER PIPING TO GO FROM THE HORIZONTAL TEE AT BOILER HEADER 2.5" TO GO TO THE MAINS HEADER 2". 90'S OR 45'S?

5- AM I OK W 2" HEADER OR SHOULD I RELACE W 2.5 AND IF SO HOW FAR SHOULD I GO?

now here is one more issue...two mains...the first 3' and 5' sections are back pitched (reverse flow)... the balance of the mains are pitched away from boiler..parallel flow.

if i get the header pitched away and I keep the newly added drip connect at the header end will I be OK?

I have limited space overhead but if need be I can probably get the mains all pitched away from boiler...just more work.

In advance thanks
This discussion has been closed.