Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How are boiler sections put together?

Options
I have a Utica boiler, model # PEG-150AS2 that has a 150,000 BTu rating. I'm sure it has a leak above the water line and am assuming it is not "patchable". We don;t exactly have the $ to have a pro put in a new boiler, so wondering if I might be able to take the offending section(s) out, replace them and reassemble (over the summer). Have had the sheet metal off the boiler and it looks like the sections are bolted together with long threaded rods. Is there gasket material in between each section? How easy is it to split these things apart? Any idea on the age of my boiler? Am I even going to be able to find a section to replace the offending one? Suggestions? help!

dan

Comments

• moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I'd call the manufacturer

I'd call Utica to make sure, but here's the info for how the PEG-C is constructed. They should also be able to tell you if the components are available or not. You might find out its still under warranty. Good luck!

Quality Cast Iron Construction

The PEG-C utilizes cast iron construction because

of its durability and efficient heat transfer capabilities. Cast iron sections

and push nipples are an integral part of each PEG-C heat exchanger. Using only

the highest quality cast iron and heat transfer designs, the PEG-C will provide

many years of efficient and trouble-free operation.
    steam newbie
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Uticas are push nipple boilers

Are you sure you can afford to not have a pro work on your system? Even on commercial boilers i often see people chasing their tail changing sections. The cause of the demise of the sections is sometimes to poor near boiler piping. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.