Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hotwater coil on gas

Options
Boston_2
Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
Why can't you have DHW coil on a gas boiler? My new Burnham IN6 works much better then my old Burnham oil fired, but we had to install an electric hot water tank.

Is it possible to retro fit one on? It's got to be cheaper then what i am paying for electric hot water.  

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    How about an indirect-fired domestic hot water heater?

If your boiler normally runs cold start, and indirect fired hot water heater may be better.
  • kevin_58
    kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    coil on gas

Weil mc lain does. I have an eg 45 with a hot water coil. I dont use it for domestic water, but a hot water loop of baseboard it works great.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Because Boston

It is cheaper and easier to install a tank type water heater than to run a boiler with a coil on natural gas. That's the theory an ways. Why did you put in an electric heater when you have gas in the house? 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Boston_2
    Options
    No other options

When we put in the new boiler we didn't have very many options (at least that is what we were told). We switched from oil to gas and had the gas company run a new main gas line down our road to our house.  We didn't have a great relationship with the HVAC guy who did the original install and needed to have another guy come in to fix some of his work. Since then, the original installer has owned up to some of the problems and has since come in to fix some of his work that still needed to be corrected (although he sent us a bill for the work and still hasn't finished). I digress -

As I mentioned, our options were limited. The cost of putting a hot water loop and external tank on the boiler was much more then we could afford. We couldn't install a separate gas hot water tank because we had venting issues. Our house has so many windows (not a bad thing) on the first floor that the installer couldn't find a place to direct vent so they ran a liner down the chimney and vented the boiler that way and then installed a 60 gal electric hot water tank.

No real complaints, we have plenty of hot water, but it cost a fortune in electricity and it takes a long time to recover. It looks like we might be stuck at this point.
  • JohnLaPlante
    JohnLaPlante Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Kevin...

I sent you a message...would you contact me?  I'd like to talk to you more about your hot water coil on your WM boiler.  I want to do the same thing, but I can't find anyone local willing to take it on.  Would like to get more specifics from you on how you did it.  Thanks.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Two appliances can be vented

to one liner if it is sized properly. Also it helps if the boiler is properly sized to the system.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Boston_2
    Options
    6" Vent

I think that the boiler is vented via a 6" pipe and the vent line is the same.  I will look to see if it says anything in the Burnham IN6 manual on vent size to see if there is any room.  It might also be a problem that the pipe terminates very low on the chimney and i don't think you would have the proper angle on the hot water tank vent ( unless it was a very short tank).
This discussion has been closed.