Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rust blocked automatic feeder?

Options
Hi. I am concerned about the silt/rust that's filling up this glass tube. This is a steam boiler with an automatic feeder. what is the best way of getting rid of this and preventing it in the future?

Thank you

Comments

• MrsJill
    MrsJill Member Posts: 2
    Options
    f/u to silt/rust in automatic feeder glass tube

there is a red valve at the bottom of the glass tube, where the tube connects to the boiler but my dad says to not touch it. I was just to drain it regularly from the blue bottom valve on the front of the boiler. but as you can see I neglected my duties. What do you recommend?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    sight glass cleaning

the valves at the top and bottom must be closed for removal of the glass tube for cleaning. nuts at the top and bottom of the tube hold it in place. when these are unscrewed, the tube can be removed and scrubbed out with a small brush. be sure to reopen the valves when this is finished.

if there are other "neglected duties" with this boiler, then why not schedule a steam professional, who will show you how to do those tasks you can perform yourself. better tell him you will be a student, to weed out any chauvinists!

there are many women visitors here who can now do their own maintenance, but it does make it easier to be shown the procedures first, while maybe taking a video. 

for instance, has the low-water-cutoff been flushed regularly?--nbc
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Have new washers on hand

When you remove a sight glass you stand a good chance of compromising the rubber washers that seal the glass to valve connection. Make sure you have spare washers and a spare glass gauge just in case.

I agree with nbc that it would be easier if you saw it done once before trying to do it yourself during the heating season.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.