Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does this expansion tank require strapping

JohnL
JohnL Member Posts: 38
Just changed the exansion tank and noticed when filled with water is quite heavy. Shouldn't the tank have some extra support or is it fine the way it is. Seems like a lot of weight for the copper piping to support.

Comments

• pa
    pa Member Posts: 1
    yup

Having seen one pull out of a sweated joint, yup.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    edited February 2011
    And while you are at it

verify what I think I see, that the expansion tank is on the discharge side of the circulator.

I see the circulator drawing out of the boiler, rising and turning through the Spirovent, then dropping to an elbow where the expansion tank connects, before heading to those two zone valves on the right. Is that accurate?

Also, if your boiler has a high pressure drop, you could cavitate your circulator and/or cause any internal pressure proving switch to trip on low apparent pressure. Normally you would pump IN to a boiler with a high pressure drop.

Just what I see from here, my $0.02 only.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Strapping X-Tanks

My favorite way - photo attached.

That's an 8" iron pipe strap for #15 tanks and a 10" iron pipe strap for #30.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    strapping

It's a toss up here. The piping is 1" and 1 1/4" if I am seeing it clearly. That should, and did support the weight of the waterlogged tank. I don't like them installed horizontally, just my preference, and the brackets seem to warrant them installed that way. I also install them on black iron fittings from the start. 
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    tank

That tank should never be heavy with water unless is is bad and the air chamber doesn't have any air charge.

There should be the same amount of air charge in the tank as what the water pressure that you want in the system.

With the proper air charge the tank will have only about a cup of water in it when the system is cold and not much more than that when it is hot.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Tanks do Fail

I think the point is support if they do fail, and become water logged. It happens, and better to be supported than ripped off the system draining it if it did happen. Not that much extra dollars,time, and it looks nicer.

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.